Back In Chickens Again!!

Poonchie's Mama

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 30, 2008
We had moved out of state for a year, then moved back. Obviously got rid of the chickens we had. On Sunday, Hubby and Son went to go get some "cheap chickens" advertised on Craigslist. Well, he got there and wished he could have brought them all home. He picked the seven "best" ones they had. They are in rough shape. They all have no feathers on their backs due to too many roosters. They have never been fed chicken feed, and lived in squaller. So, Im wondering if you guys have any advice on how to get these gals back up and running! They are laying eggs, I have gotten four since Sunday. They are very skiddish and are not people friendly. Is there a way to get them to be curious, happy, friendly chickens? I have been sitting with them in their run, just so they get used to being around me. I am feeding them 16% protien layer feed, giving them plenty of treats from the garden, scrambeled eggs and I have some Probiotic yogurt that I will give tonight.
Any masterful chicken advice is appreciated!
bow.gif

Sounds like you're doing everything right. They might just take a few days to get settled in. Quietly observing them and allowing them to get used to you sounds like a great start! Good luck!!!!

Welcome back! You sound like you are doing all the right things. The newbies just need some time to realize their lot in life has improved markedly. I'd be giving them lots of protein to help grow those feathers back ASAP. Chickens with bare backs always look so pathetic. I'd also do a de-worming and a bug check for lice/mites. Maybe a bath for all to wash off the dregs of the old life (and a good opportunity for you to do an all-over body check and get them used to being handled). Good luck with them and have fun.

Had the same experience,brought home 14 "FREE" chickens. And they stunk so bad.
They were in such poor shape I almost walked away without them.
We upped thier protein with chick starter.were able to get them outside after a few days.
We kept looking at them thinking.they are to far gone...............
After about three months they looked like beautiful girls............ran to us........feathers shining..........
I agree about the worming&looking for bugs. Ours had lice.
I think they will be fine before you know it with your TLC.
Good luck

Thank you all for your responses. I think Im going to skip the de-worming, wouldnt I see worms in their poo if they had them? I am thinking that I should dust them though.

Back
Top Bottom