back of neck feather plucking

mandy241971

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Hello i'm new to this forum, i have a 17wk old CLB (Cream Legbar), we noticed that she has feather's missing from the back of her neck, but when we looked closer we could see it was a lot more serious, the back of her neck looks like it is missing some flesh and it looks like you can see the cord, she is happy in her self and she is eating ok, could this have been caused by our other chickens and can the flesh grow back, i have some Stockholm Tar which i am going to put on her, i just want to know if she'll be ok, she is a gorgeous girl and we love her very much. Hope someone can help:(

First of all
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio.

Not enough information, like where is she roosting, have you noticed other hens chasing her, and what kind of predators do you have in your area? It kinda sounds like the work of a possum to me, is she roosting in a closed pen at night or sleeping on the floor?
frow.gif

well first
welcome-byc.gif
well I had a chicken that that happened to and I sepperated her and she was fine but when I tried to put her with the others it happened again, she was the slowest and littlest so I just had to keep her by her self...

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. Sorry to hear about your hen. I agree with Wild Trapper, it is hard to come to a solution when more info is needed. Also, do you have a rooster that could be too rough?
idunno.gif

Welcome from Northern California.
frow.gif
I have to agree with Wild Trapper that it's hard to tell without observing your chickens for awhile. It sounds to me like you may have an over aggressive rooster. I have a couple of hens with feathers missing from the back of their necks that rooster pull out when mating, but I've never seen flesh removed. That sounds serious.

hi i live in peterborough, england, my little girl roosts on her perch, she doesn't sleep on the floor, we have foxes and rats near us, but there is no sign of a fox, there pen is secure with a roof, i lost chickens last year to a fox so i know we haven't had any round lately, she does have a deformed foot, because she broke it a little while a go and the vet tried everything to straighten it but it didn't work, she is the youngest in the group and she lives with 3 other hens and 3 muscovy ducks, the ducks don't bother her in fact she sleeps near Jemima one of my female ducks, but i have noticed the 3 hens do sometimes chase her, so i think one of them has done it, the neck is exposed like i said it looks like you can see the cord to her neck, i'm going to put some of this Stockholm Tar on her to stop the others attacking her, and i'm really hoping the flesh and skin grows back, and like i said she is happy in herself and eating. And hello to everyone and thankyou for your comments i don't want to have to have her put down, i hope she does grow everything again
frow.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom