Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics
Does anyone know if feed bags can be composted? I use them under the roost to keep poop off the cinder blocks so they're covered in it on one side.
Also, could I use a few layers in place of cardboard if they haven't been pooped on?

If they are the paper based bags, sure. I use every single bag in the garden under the mulch. That yours are poopy is a bonus! Personally, I'd not grow crops meant to be eaten raw on fresh poo (such as lettuce, carrots, beets, etc), but, for the paths or long term crops (such as corn or winter squash), I'd not worry about it.

The verdict is in: BTE is here to stay. I have harvested 2 accidental hills of potatoes from the paths in the BTE section of the garden. They have yielded the largest number and also very nice sized spuds that have ever come out of a single hill in my garden, planted or accidental. My garlic cloves were massive as well. Onions were among the best that I've ever grown. The only down side is the fact that I need to haul all of the wood chips by truck and then by wheel barrow b/c I have not been able to get any tree service companies to drop chips here, in spite of the fact that I have very easy (IMO) access. BTE will continue to get fertilized as I deem necessary until there is a good layer of "fines" built up between the soil and the large chips that stay at the top of the chip layer.

Next season, I should have a new sheet compost area ready to plant. We've been using my leaf stash (from last fall) to layer with the grass clippings (over cardboard). The bed is almost finished. Will be about 15' x 20'. I've also been burying the feathers and "debris" from cockerel processing under the sheet compost.

I need an other truck load of cardboard to attack the poison ivy that threatens to spread into the orchard where it butts up to the road. Plan is to lay down several layers of cardboard, followed by a good 4 - 6" layer of wood chips to smother the ivy. Must remember to not touch the soil in that area for 2 years to give the toxic oils time to degrade.

I have smothered PI before. It was a patch that was about 3' x 8'. I simply covered it with cardboard and left it in place for a full year. I removed the cardboard this season, and there has been no return. The new situation is a bit different, b/c it's an established patch, and goes down into the ditch and back up the other side to the road. If I could get my hands on some old carpet, I'd lay down the cardboard, then place the carpet over the cardboard, going down the bank into the ditch, and leave it there. I'd use only the cardboard and wood chips on the level ground above the ditch. An other complication is that there are some rocks there that can't be moved (part of an old rough stone wall) so, I will need to cover the rocks as well to occlude any light getting through. And, there are some small tree stumps (I cut down some trees to clear that area this spring) that are sending up lots of suckers. My intent with them is to keep the suckers removed, and cover the stumps with buckets to occlude light.

Our poison ivy grows up the trees here and the vines are as thick as your arm! We have been cutting them, but of course it grows all through the woods in smaller plants as well. Hoping goats will help eradicate the stuff.

Morning walk about: I am awestruck by the beauty that surrounds me this morning. Was visited by a little hummingbird as I strolled the garden. She flitted through the Calendula, sampling a number of blossoms, checked me out, then blessed me by perching on a little section of CP not more than 2' away from me while she preened.

Fresh sweet tomato cherries, still cool from the night air. BTE is providing yet an other benefit. In spite of the erratic rain fall/drought, I am seeing very few split fruit this season. In years past, I could plan on fruit split after every rain/watering.

Green beans are simply bursting forth, and thanking me profusely for every time I turn the hose on them. I have put up 15 pts. so far, been serving them almost every evening, and there will be an other huge picking today. All from the vines confined to an old swing set.

Onions: bumper crop for me. Some as big as my fist. Such a satisfying feeling to grab those withered tops and feel the roots break away from the loose soil. I intend to leave the tops intact this season and try my hand at braiding them. I don't know if it's common practice to braid them with twine wound into the braid, but that will be my intent.

Birds will remain shut in their run, as hawks have been prowling the woods behind their coop/run. Much hawk screeching going on. Small consolation for the flock with the weeds I toss them today. They will also get some of the many bulbils that have matured on the scapes of the garlic that grows like weeds in the garden. The rest of the bulbils, and immature bulbs will be spread around in the BTE orchard to deter voles.

Winding up to be an other hot day. Double yolk egg with my breakfast.

yeah jealous of your green beans.. I eat them most everyday..
definately ate them everyday last year when I planted almost the whole permimeter with four varities of pole beans Hubby was green BEAN OUTED ,not me
Im getting a serving every couple of days now
so good steamed
you said raw beets ????? eaten w out ccokin? how eaten?
I just first started eating beets this year... But been buying them locally from Amish. I got a few growing in gutter planters out front and in four small pots
Hubby puts them in ACV.. not me
please just boil after cleaning and peeling... I save the cooking water with the beets and eat them
just commenting...

Back
Top Bottom