Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics
I have Siberian Pea and Elderberry, though not in the orchard area. Also trying to get grapes going. If I could do so, I'd have Currants. But, they are not allowed in Maine.

Not allowed? I have been floored several times by the very odd laws here. Why are currants not allowed? I just met someone else from Waldo county that does have them growing on their land (already established plants on a property they bought)...

Because they are an alternate host for the White Pine blister rust. While the federal law has released the ban on Currants and related species, Maine stays behind the times. Yes, if the Currants are already established, I doubt that the Currant police would come knocking and haul the land owner off to jail. But, I could hardly plant them in my orchard and claim that I did not know that they were there! The temptation to do so is great, especially since there are several cultivars that are resistant to WPBR!

Not allowed? I have been floored several times by the very odd laws here. Why are currants not allowed? I just met someone else from Waldo county that does have them growing on their land (already established plants on a property they bought)...

Perhaps I should go visit that Waldo County person!

We had a family give us some of their currants last year. I read about the pine rust and kind-of wondered. But I planted them anyway. We'll see how they do. They seem very hardy.

We went to a u-pick place that had currants because I had never seen them growing before and I wanted to get an idea of what they'd look like. We planted them on one side of the deck rather than way out back.

I'm doing some landscaping and looking for some "edible landscaping" ideas for all around the house. We've literally torn everything out around the house is it was old growth that had been neglected for many years - and there were some yews. Though I like the appearance of the foliage on yews, I don't want poisonous plants in the yard. So I'm looking for some alternatives around there too. I may just use some various height junipers in one area that doesn't get enough sun for true edibles. I have several edible landscaping books, but I wish I knew a live person that could come and draw a plan. I'm not good at seeing design for that kind of thing.

Because they are an alternate host for the White Pine blister rust. While the federal law has released the ban on Currants and related species, Maine stays behind the times. Yes, if the Currants are already established, I doubt that the Currant police would come knocking and haul the land owner off to jail. But, I could hardly plant them in my orchard and claim that I did not know that they were there! The temptation to do so is great, especially since there are several cultivars that are resistant to WPBR!

Interesting. This person moved from back west like me; I'm sure she's completely unaware. Next time I talk with her I'll mention it. It sounds like the infection in ribes can be visually identified so, if nothing else, they can at least monitor the currants and eliminate any showing infection. It sounds like trying to eliminate currants is very hard as they can grow back from small pieces of root and wild birds tend to spread the seeds far and wide....

I don't know how much actual risk there is for transmission of PBR disease between white pine and the ribes species. I find it frustrating that Federal government has lifted the ban, while Maine still has it in place. Red Currant Jelly. OH MY!!! Incredible flavor!!!
Interesting... and according to some information sources from within Maine say that red currant is NOT a vector of the disease - it's the imported European black currant and wild currant varieties (e.g. skunkberry) that are the culprits.

Back
Top Bottom