Back to Eden Gardening and Hugelkulture and other non-conventional garden methods

Pics
We had a family give us some of their currants last year. I read about the pine rust and kind-of wondered. But I planted them anyway. We'll see how they do. They seem very hardy.

We went to a u-pick place that had currants because I had never seen them growing before and I wanted to get an idea of what they'd look like. We planted them on one side of the deck rather than way out back.

I'm doing some landscaping and looking for some "edible landscaping" ideas for all around the house. We've literally torn everything out around the house is it was old growth that had been neglected for many years - and there were some yews. Though I like the appearance of the foliage on yews, I don't want poisonous plants in the yard. So I'm looking for some alternatives around there too. I may just use some various height junipers in one area that doesn't get enough sun for true edibles. I have several edible landscaping books, but I wish I knew a live person that could come and draw a plan. I'm not good at seeing design for that kind of thing.

I have found it's easier to do in sections, trying an all at one time approach was too overwhelming. Figure out what you like in pics you see, find compatible plants to achieve that look for your climate and the area you want it. Start with your anchor plants, trees and larger shrubs, then the smaller perennials and then annuals. Sometimes I just walk through a nursery and find things I like and buy them. You never know what you'll find that will catch your fancy or give you ideas.

Wow...this is a super cool thread! I'm only on page 13...but dang...so much great information. @lazy gardener , you should write one of the Gardening for Dummies books. :)

I'm thinking maybe a hugelkulture set up on the west side of my existing garden to help divert the flow of the constant gale-force winds that come out of the west. It blows my dang corn over all the time. :barnie I'm going to have to go fetch me a notebook so I can jot down some notes. Pics would be lovely! (Unless pics are to come sometime after page 13)

Wow...this is a super cool thread! I'm only on page 13...but dang...so much great information. @lazy gardener , you should write one of the Gardening for Dummies books. :)

I'm thinking maybe a hugelkulture set up on the west side of my existing garden to help divert the flow of the constant gale-force winds that come out of the west. It blows my dang corn over all the time. :barnie I'm going to have to go fetch me a notebook so I can jot down some notes. Pics would be lovely! (Unless pics are to come sometime after page 13)

I'm planning on planting some Siberian Peashrubs this year in a mini-orchard I'm planting. They are cold hardy, grow in poor conditions, are nitrogen fixing, produce food, have an extensive root system and grow quite quickly. They are considered an invasive species in some areas. But properly managed I think they sound like a very promising plant that could be used as a living windbreak. I'm starting mine from seed, though, so it'll be a long time before I have anything to report :)

I'm planning on planting some Siberian Peashrubs this year in a mini-orchard I'm planting. They are cold hardy, grow in poor conditions, are nitrogen fixing, produce food, have an extensive root system and grow quite quickly. They are considered an invasive species in some areas. But properly managed I think they sound like a very promising plant that could be used as a living windbreak. I'm starting mine from seed, though, so it'll be a long time before I have anything to report :)

I'm shying away from planting any wind-breakers in the garden area. I like the full sun from mid-morning on. I thought planting a hugelkulture would be sort of a diversion aide of windflow...with the dual purpose of more gardening space without sacrificing sunshine.

I have found them to be hard to start from seed. Much patience needed!
Oh boy :) My plan is to scarify with a 24 hour water soak, than a 30 day stratify in a plastic baggie in the fridge. I was also going to try to germinate 15% over what I needed.

Does that sound reasonable to you or am I barking up the wrong tree? Thank you as always for the great advice!

You are woofing in the right direction. I wonder if they also might benefit from freezing stratification. If you try that, don't do it with all of them!!!

I am doing multiple freeze/thaw cycles with Jewel Weed now. Hoping that will result in some seedlings.

I'm shying away from planting any wind-breakers in the garden area. I like the full sun from mid-morning on. I thought planting a hugelkulture would be sort of a diversion aide of windflow...with the dual purpose of more gardening space without sacrificing sunshine.

Makes sense! Here's an idea that might be helpful. Assuming you rotate your corn location, this is a temporary setup. If you're thinking HK, you probably have a lot of access to sticks? Maybe get a pile of straightish sticks that you can drive into the ground however deep so they are stable as a wind support for corn, and stick up about 4 or 5 above the ground after being driven...

Drive them on the east side of your corn row at whatever spacing makes sense to you... Maybe every 8 ft or so? Then run nylon mason's line between them at whatever height(s) makes sense to support the windblown stalks... maybe one at 2 or 3 ft off the ground and another line at 4 or 5 ft?

The nylon line will sag a little when it gets wet, but you're just looking for something to keep the corn from lodging right? It doesn't have to be THAT strong. Mason's line is dirt cheap, the sticks are hopefully on hand or easily found for free. It can be set up and torn down and stored each season.

No worries if that doesn't sound like it will work for you. But it's what I'm planning on doing this season if we need a little extra support. I'm actually amazed with the wind we get that we HAVEN'T had a lodging problem yet. :fl [knocking on wood]

You are woofing in the right direction. I wonder if they also might benefit from freezing stratification. If you try that, don't do it with all of them!!!

I am doing multiple freeze/thaw cycles with Jewel Weed now. Hoping that will result in some seedlings.
:goodpost::clap I have FAR more seeds than I need so I just might try that! I'm still about a month away from my start. Though I already started my silverberry seeds - so excited about those!

If you stratify in the fridge in a ziplock bag, do you think you need a damp paper towel around the seeds? I just threw 'em in a bag thinking it would maintain humidity just by virtue of it being a ziplock bag (and I accidentally soaked the seeds for 24 hrs when the tips I read said 6-12 hours).

If you build a HK on the west side, be sure it does not interfere with drainage. I'm a techno idiot, so pics from me are a once a decade occurrence!

Back
Top Bottom