1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Back to the country

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by FarmerMack, Jan 30, 2011.

1. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Well after almost a year of city living I'm good for the rest of my life.
    After having lost my Farm in Effingham NH to the bank the cold and the heating cost I will be back on the farm here in Stanford Kentucky.

I''l have 9 acres in total, up from 1. 3 acres is fenced in and 4.5 is rolling hills with a couple of gullies running through it. Good soil good water good people good god other than hens, and the Tennessee walking horse, red a nice stallion of 6 years. up north i had an Angora stud and and pygmy breeder for the cross pygora fiber... they can handle cold but not heat. down here they seems to have beef, and goats for meat only, occasional sheep herd.
    I have a neighbor that know what Stock yard to buy from, but what to buy pigs, beef,goat meat, all of the above?

And hens i so miss my hens... no more "hey you own me eggs ladies" and the occasional "raarh rah raaahhhh wah? LOL
    Mar 1 no longer a trapped country boy in the city.

As Mr. Denver said "Thank god I'm a country boy
    clap [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    Good luck to you. I did the same many years ago.

3. FarmerMack

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:We just couldnt take the heating costs in N.H. any more and with our so called "leaders" in congress having no clue except to increase energy costs we figured Central Kentucky would be a better place. 2" of snow is a major storm LOL, land is good , people have be so friendly, good old fashion Aerican country fold

we're loving it, loving it more when I get back to the farm

4. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

FarmerMack, Congratulations on your move!! I agree, our "leaders" don't have a clue to what it is like to live in the "real world". They continually insult our intelligence by trying to convince us that things(economy,etc.) is on the up&up in this country when all one has to do is just look around and you'll see it's just the opposite. No better place to be than in the country where at least one can produce something to eat and have untainted water to drink. Wouldn't want to be trapped in the city in the days to come. Now to replenish your livestock on your new farm! Kentucky is nice, we live right next door...

5. FarmerMack

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    Quote:Exactly a trip to the stockyards is in order shortly after we move, And "howdy neighbor, how are all y'all doing" hehe good thing i studied at "blue collar comedy college"

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Warning: advice coming. Take it easy on the expenses at first. You already know it's not cheap to keep livestock -- and horses don't exactly offer much return, financially. Don't get yourself in a fix and lose your farm again.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Welcome back to the GOOD LIFE! [​IMG]

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I am excited for you and looking forward to your update in March!

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I cant imagine ever living in the city again. Ever. I love seeing wide open spaces around me, quiet, night skies full of stars instead of honking and people yelling. Central Kentucky sounds wonderful, too. Glad you got to move.

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Glad you got what you wanted, there is no place I would rather live.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by