Back yard pests...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, May 24, 2011.

1. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    trap dispatch , trap dispatch trap dispatch ...... especially during trapping season I hammer furbearers here I have only lost one bird to a snake I relocate most snakes about 100 feet to the intercoastal water way the furbearers I relocate to the Canadian fur auctions [​IMG]

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    A Few Realities About Predators, Gamebirds, And Protection

#1 No Cage Is Predator Proof. It May Have Been Predator Proof So Far... But Thats Always Subject To Change At Any Time Without Prior Written Notice. The Plain And Simple Fact Is If You Or Anyone Else Can Build It Somewhere Out There Is A Hungry Critter ,that If Given Enough Encouragement And Time, Can Figure Out A Way To Get Birds Out Of It Or Get Into To It And Eat/ Kill Their Fill

#2 It Really Is A Never Ending Cycle... Just When You Think You've Killed Off Any And All Would Be Predators For 100 Miles In Any Direction.... Along Come More And Hungrier Predators

#3 Your Birds Will Not Assist You In Their Safety... They Just Dont Have The Common Sense For It [​IMG]

#4 Raising Birds And Controlling Predators Aint For Sissy's Or Tree Huggers--- Sooner Or Later It Gets Ugly

#5 Recognize Potential Predators... Fluffy The Cat Is Now Permanently On That List As Well As Her Accompliss That Mangey Dog With The Innocent Look-- Dont Be Fooled Easily

#6 No Such Thing As Overbuilding A Bird Pen

#7 There Are No Predator Free Zones- Period! I Dont Care If Your Raising Birds In Roof Top Pens In New York City... There Are Predators Everywhere... You May Not Recognize Or Realize It Yet, But That Doesnt Change The Facts

#8 Deal With All Predation Problems Immediately And In A Permanent Manner--- No Revolving Door Policies Work Here. If You See It- Shoot It! Not Next Time Do It Now And You'll Not Have To Be Wondering "what Ate My Birds?" When It Comes Back Next Week

#9 All Gamebirds Will Attract Predators From Miles And Miles Away... They're Like A New Kfc With A Buffet. Can't Say Why But I Can Say A Raccoon Will Come From 3 Counties Away To Take A Crack At Your Birds And Cage Systems (through Snow And Ice, Uphill Both Ways..)

#10 There's A Better Than Average Chance You Wont Believe 75% Of This Post Until You Experience It

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Raven steals the Sun

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:You have said some great wisdom here. The thing about predators is that they have a LOT of time on their hands to pick, dig, chew, climb and do other things to enter your facilities. Your pen/aviary is only as strong as it's weakest link. And they WILL find it eventually. When keeping any sort of poultry, the grounds must be checked daily. Look for ANY clues that something is snffing around at night. These critters may work on something for days and eventually get in. They must be "cut off at the pass" so to speak. You need to build like Fort Knox and even then, as said above, they may still get in. And no matter how many of these things you shoot at night, there is ALWAYS another to take it's place. It is a never ending battle to keep poultry and keep the night time marauders at bay.

4. Quote:I believe it all JJMR794. Mice, rats, cats, dogs, owls, hawks, falcons and evil children are what is prevalent here. The tool using primate "lets poke it with a stick" behavior really ticks me off. Throw in the odd possum and raccoon and that's whats 'round here. Have heard reports that coyotes are moving into the neighborhood because of misguided Fish and Game releases in years past. Heck, that just where I live in the city limits.
    My sister who lives 50 miles out has to deal with black bears, turkey vultures, foxes, wild dogs, crows, rattlesnakes, copperheads, seagulls, eagles, feral pigs and bobcats in addition to what I have here..

5. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    BigJim, his son David and I built a chicken tractor this past weekend to go along with his new Quail pen (good distance away). We placed 13 - 3 week old chickens in the tractor,

this AM, BigJim told me one chick was missing,

he said "moved the tractor, found 2 big "chicken" snakes, went inside, got gun, bang, bang, 2 dead snakes, pigs enjoyed extra protein..." BigJim

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    and evil children are what is prevalent here. The tool using primate "lets poke it with a stick" behavior really ticks me off

THEY'D GET LIT UP WITH A PAINTBALL GUN CAPABLE OF A SUSTAINED RATE OF FIRE IN THE MID 30 SHOTS PER SECOND RANGE (THIS IS CALLED A "ROPE" IN THE PAINTBALL WORLD... BALLS FLYING IN A NEVERENDING STRING ABOUT 4 INCHES APART [​IMG] ), SENT HOME WITH A NICE COLECTION OF WELTS DOING THE LOCAL REDNECK "RAINBOW BRIGHT" IMPERSONATION AND THEN I WOULD DESPERATELY HOPE FOR THEIR PARENTS TO COME AND COMPLAIN.... CAUSE THEY'RE THE 1'S I REALLY WANT TO GET AHOLD OF [​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I believe it all JJMR794. Mice, rats, cats, dogs, owls, hawks, falcons and evil children are what is prevalent here. The tool using primate "lets poke it with a stick" behavior really ticks me off. Throw in the odd possum and raccoon and that's whats 'round here. Have heard reports that coyotes are moving into the neighborhood because of misguided Fish and Game releases in years past. Heck, that just where I live in the city limits.
    My sister who lives 50 miles out has to deal with black bears, turkey vultures, foxes, wild dogs, crows, rattlesnakes, copperheads, seagulls, eagles, feral pigs and bobcats in addition to what I have here..

If you live in 7B you don,t just have yotes you got red wolves down by alligator river I know one of the trappers down that way that traps them yotes [​IMG]

and them pigs are just hateful folks up here in Edenton and easy city don't care for them at all

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  8. diggerduck

diggerduck Songster

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    Old school non tree hugging country boy here. Explained to the neighbors if you feel your cat should be out roaming the neighborhood like it is wild, then it will be treated as wild. Still on my first box of .22 cal subsonics, but running out of places to put the " wild cats " that keep mshowing up in the yard. The neighbors have become suspicious of why I grin when they are out in the street calling for their house cats....

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I'M PAST OLD SCHOOL... I DONT TRY TO HIDE THE BODIES... JUST CHUCK 'EM OVER THE FENCE INTO THE PINE TREE FARM OUT BACK AND LET THE BUZZARDS FEAST... SAME WITH ALL PREDS HERE... GOT QUITE A BONE PILE GOING BACK THERE. [​IMG]

OH YEAH, FORGOT... SUBSONICS DONT SEEM TO ANOUNCE MY SUCESS LOUD ENOUGH TO SUIT ME. I HAVE FOUND THAT NOT BEING BASHFUL HELPS TO EDUCATE STUPID NEIGHBORS MORE QUICKLY... I PERFER 12GA SHOTGUN OR 22 MAG AT LEAST... GOTTA LOVE THAT SHOTGUN AFTER MIDNIGHT [​IMG] LIGHTS UP THE WHOLE SIDE OF THE FARM [​IMG]

10. diggerduck

diggerduck Songster

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: