backed up poop/ pasty butt- doesn't look good :(

TeamChaos

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
I have a week old batch of chickens. One of the dominque babies didn't seem to be growing at the same rate and was kind of stand-offish, so I brought her up to go with my daughter's three tiny bantam chicks that are the same age. They're all eating and driving well and while they've had messy butts, no one was actually pasted up until this evening. The dominque was totally pasted shut! (it does happen in record time). I soaked everything off gently with warm water and she has since passed some poo, but she seems really sleepy and cold- even though she's next to the heat source and everyone else has moved to the back. Is there anything I can do for this little one? Do they ever bounce back? Thanks.

Last edited:
Quote:
One thing that can quickly kill a chick is pasty butt. They must be constantly monitored for this. You did the right thing by using warm water to clean her up. One thing I wouldnt have done which possibly could bring dire consequences was taking the dominque chick and putting it with your daughters bantam chicks. What if there's something else wrong with her besides pasty butt? It could be contracted by the bantams. You could seperate her and provide her with her starter feed and water, a heat lamp to keep her warm. If she continues to eat and drink, there's a good chance she'll pull through...otherwise I'd cull.

I agree- I should not have put her with the bantams- she wasn't sick at that time, just smaller than everyone else so I thought she'd be better suited for their size brooder. She's eating and drinking from time to time, mostly dozing as close to the heater as she can get. She's stumbling though, not looking good. She won't lay down, it's like her legs are locked. Poor little thing. I've kept her butt clean.

Back
Top Bottom