1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Backyard Brahmas!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SD Bird Lady, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Junibutt

Junibutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Chicago
    Thanks, I just don't want my kids to get attached and then have to give him up. Chewie does not have a tail at all so thats what made me suspicious. The other lighter one Sapphire does have long feathers, its not very clear in picture because they are mixed colors.

Are they all Light Brahmas though? or are they mixes? I have no interest in keeping them if they are not Light. My wife only gave me permission (yes she has strict leash on me when it comes to chicken) to add to our flock provided they were Light Brahmas.

2. bumpercarr

bumpercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    I can't help you with whether they a lights or not. They look like it to me, but I raise partridge and darks, so I have no idea what lights look like as chicks. They don't look partridge or dark, so I would guess they are either lights or buffs. As I said, they look like lights to me, but what do I know?

[​IMG]

3. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Janibut: those look exactly like my lights did. They may have some dark or buff patches on them but the silver coloring is definately there.i also have buffs and they were almost brown looking at that age. I have no idea the sex of those tho. I can guess but im 3 for 10 so far lol.

4. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, of corse, it depends what you want. I think Brahmas are lovely-looking chickens, so I breed them for that. I don´t breed a lot of them, and i sell off those I don´t want to other people who want something pretty in their yard. Not even much good for meat, as you have to wait so very long for them to get a good size.
    For eggs, i keep isa browns, stars or hi-line types.

5. kenzier093

kenzier093 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea they don't need to be big when I butcher them, just decent enough to have some meat on them.

6. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens will lay every day for maybe 8 or 10 days, then they want to brood. if I take all their eggs away, they´ll just stop laying and have a rest. Mostly, though, I leave them with 3 eggs to keep them occupied. last year I just had 3 Brahma breeding hens and 2 cross-bred ones. This year i´ll have 5 more Brahma hens. they´re just youngsters at the moment. I have others, but they´re not Brahmas. I´m looking forward to seeing what they produce, as i got 2 more new pullets and one new cockerel from different sources.
    I understand about the pics. When mine lost a huge amount of skin on her side, I couldn´t imagine how it was going to heal.. But it did, and really well. Chickens are amazing.

7. Jryan18

Jryan18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    believe those are lights but in my limited experience, our light hens have always been almost completely yellow and the roosters(we have only had two) both had the black coloring on their backs and heads.

8. Junibutt

Junibutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Chicago
    Thanks everyone for their input. I guess I will wait it out!

9. CarolinaHen

CarolinaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    South Carolina

Great news!

10. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Last year I bought some hatchery lights and they were darker color like yours are. They could still be lights even though they aren't all yellow. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by