Backyard Brahmas!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SD Bird Lady, Jan 8, 2013.

1. bumpercarr

bumpercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    X2 a she. Mine lay about 5 a week, not bad production. Started at about 4-6 months.

Edit: I mean laid about 5 a week.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. trueblue1

trueblue1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2014
    French Camp, MS
    I just know a she cause my 10 wk old she's all look like your she LOL

3. Junibutt

Junibutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Chicago
    Hi,

I am new to Brahmas and got my first chicks 10 days ago. They were sold to me as Light but are different colors. Kindly advise based on pictures. They also seem to be playfully aggressive to each other since day 1. Is it normal behavior for Brahmas?
    Lastly 3 of them have grown tail feathers already and one (Chewie) has not. Chewie also has a taller stance. Could he be a rooster?

Thanks everyone for their input in advance,

Here are the pics:

1. Chewie

[​IMG]

2. Cutie

[​IMG]

3. Sapphire and Sleepy

[​IMG]

4. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Wonderful news. Sounds very promising.

5. Rhandi74

Rhandi74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    East TN
    Hi all
    I am very new to chickens and bought several asst. bantam from TSC and I found out on is a brahma. Here it is :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very excited to learn more about this breed

6. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Mine are from a breeder, so lay less often. they lay maybe 10 or so eggs, then go broody. After they´ve raised their chicks they go ages again berfore starting to lay. I get their eggs when I don´t want to breed them, but I don´t rely on them for production. I think maybe the hatchery ones are more being for pretty egg-layers?
    But Bumpercarr, were yours not from a breeder? If so, then that´s my theory out the window! [​IMG] And i´m sure your pullet will lay again once she´s better. Got a pic of her and the little one so we can see how they´re doing too?

7. kenzier093

kenzier093 Chillin' With My Peeps

I got mine out of the pullet bin at TSC and I had know clue what they were. I couldn't look at them closely to see that they had feathered feet, they just put them in the box. I thought it might have been a sex link because they didn't say what exactly were in there. When I brought them home I realized that they were brahmas and I have 4 of them now. They grow so slow and I have 1 adult one from last year and barely ever lays eggs. She laid maybe about 8 and stopped. She is molting now. I want to get rid of them when they get bigger and use them for meat. My theory is that I'm not going to pay for birds that just eat up the feed and don't lay eggs.

8. Junibutt

Junibutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Chicago

9. bumpercarr

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    yes, mine were from a breeder as well. But mine were only pullets (8 mos) when I lost them, hadn't had a chance to go broody yet. I don't want to post a pick yet, the damage to the older one is pretty graphic. I'll try to post one of the little one this afternoon. It's raining here now, so hard to get a pic. Of course, the first night after I move the hospital cage out of the house, back to the coop it has to rain! It only rains here about 10 days a year.

So, yes, your theory is out the window! But, each line seems to lay differently. I've heard some lay like mine, pretty regular, and then some only lay every other day. I think it also depends on age. I actually chose brahmas because they lay less.....that wasn't working out for me. [​IMG] However, as they aged they may have slowed down. I won't know for another year and a half or so.

10. bumpercarr

Aug 29, 2012
    Tularosa, New Mexico
    The breeder brahma group really doesn't like to answer questions about sexing your chicks.....just letting you know that you probably won't get an answer over there. So, here goes........

Chewey - looks like a cockerel to me. The rest look like pullets although the whiter one in the third picture is suspicious (note shorter wing feathers). Only time will tell. Sometimes, they are just slower to mature. If you read through this entire thread, you will find that some that thought they had one or two cockerels come to find out that they are indeed pullets. So, feather sexing at this age isn't really very accurate. You should be able to be about 90% sure at 8 weeks or so. Even then though, you can make a mistake. It's usually best to wait until it is pretty obvious, like they lay an egg or start to crow.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the backyard brahma forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by