Backyard Brahmas!!

Hi,

I am new to Brahmas and got my first chicks 10 days ago. They were sold to me as Light but are different colors. Kindly advise based on pictures. They also seem to be playfully aggressive to each other since day 1. Is it normal behavior for Brahmas?
Lastly 3 of them have grown tail feathers already and one (Chewie) has not. Chewie also has a taller stance. Could he be a rooster?

Thanks everyone for their input in advance,

Here are the pics:

1. Chewie

2. Cutie

3. Sapphire and Sleepy

Update: Little one is doing fine, no issues at all and has even opened that eye. Although I suspect she is blind in that one, we'll see how it progresses.

8 mo old pullet - I was ready to put her down yesterday, she just seemed to be in so much pain. I gave her the prescribed meds again (pain, anti inflammatory, antibiotic) yesterday afternoon along with some more egg yolk and of course water. Last night at bedtime, she had moved to the other side of the cage where she would have access to the food & water but I didn't see her eat or drink anything. This morning, I got her out to give her water and egg yolk, she took the water easily, but wanted nothing to do with the egg yolk. So, I took her outside (it's warm here) so she could get some sun and fresh air. She found a bug and ate it!! So, I put some mealy worms in front of her and she ate more and more and more! Looks like she might make it folks!

I'm going to continue the water regimen until I'm sure she's drinking on her own since drinking involves moving the head up so much.
Wonderful news. Sounds very promising.

Hi all
I am very new to chickens and bought several asst. bantam from TSC and I found out on is a brahma. Here it is :)

Very excited to learn more about this breed

X2 a she. Mine lay about 5 a week, not bad production. Started at about 4-6 months.

Edit: I mean laid about 5 a week.
sad.png

Mine are from a breeder, so lay less often. they lay maybe 10 or so eggs, then go broody. After they´ve raised their chicks they go ages again berfore starting to lay. I get their eggs when I don´t want to breed them, but I don´t rely on them for production. I think maybe the hatchery ones are more being for pretty egg-layers?
But Bumpercarr, were yours not from a breeder? If so, then that´s my theory out the window!
lol.png
And i´m sure your pullet will lay again once she´s better. Got a pic of her and the little one so we can see how they´re doing too?

sad.png

Mine are from a breeder, so lay less often. they lay maybe 10 or so eggs, then go broody. After they´ve raised their chicks they go ages again berfore starting to lay. I get their eggs when I don´t want to breed them, but I don´t rely on them for production. I think maybe the hatchery ones are more being for pretty egg-layers?
But Bumpercarr, were yours not from a breeder? If so, then that´s my theory out the window!
lol.png
And i´m sure your pullet will lay again once she´s better. Got a pic of her and the little one so we can see how they´re doing too?
I got mine out of the pullet bin at TSC and I had know clue what they were. I couldn't look at them closely to see that they had feathered feet, they just put them in the box. I thought it might have been a sex link because they didn't say what exactly were in there. When I brought them home I realized that they were brahmas and I have 4 of them now. They grow so slow and I have 1 adult one from last year and barely ever lays eggs. She laid maybe about 8 and stopped. She is molting now. I want to get rid of them when they get bigger and use them for meat. My theory is that I'm not going to pay for birds that just eat up the feed and don't lay eggs.

Hi,

I am new to Brahmas and got my first chicks 10 days ago. They were sold to me as Light but are different colors. Kindly advise based on pictures. They also seem to be playfully aggressive to each other since day 1. Is it normal behavior for Brahmas?
Lastly 3 of them have grown tail feathers already and one (Chewie) has not. Chewie also has a taller stance. Could he be a rooster?

Here are the pics:

1. Chewie

2. Cutie

3. Sapphire and Sleepy

sad.png

lol.png
yes, mine were from a breeder as well. But mine were only pullets (8 mos) when I lost them, hadn't had a chance to go broody yet. I don't want to post a pick yet, the damage to the older one is pretty graphic. I'll try to post one of the little one this afternoon. It's raining here now, so hard to get a pic. Of course, the first night after I move the hospital cage out of the house, back to the coop it has to rain! It only rains here about 10 days a year.

So, yes, your theory is out the window! But, each line seems to lay differently. I've heard some lay like mine, pretty regular, and then some only lay every other day. I think it also depends on age. I actually chose brahmas because they lay less.....that wasn't working out for me.
big_smile.png
However, as they aged they may have slowed down. I won't know for another year and a half or so.

Hi,

Here are the pics:

1. Chewie

2. Cutie

3. Sapphire and Sleepy

The breeder brahma group really doesn't like to answer questions about sexing your chicks.....just letting you know that you probably won't get an answer over there. So, here goes........

Chewey - looks like a cockerel to me. The rest look like pullets although the whiter one in the third picture is suspicious (note shorter wing feathers). Only time will tell. Sometimes, they are just slower to mature. If you read through this entire thread, you will find that some that thought they had one or two cockerels come to find out that they are indeed pullets. So, feather sexing at this age isn't really very accurate. You should be able to be about 90% sure at 8 weeks or so. Even then though, you can make a mistake. It's usually best to wait until it is pretty obvious, like they lay an egg or start to crow.
lol.png

Welcome to the backyard brahma forum!

Back
Top Bottom