Backyard Brahmas!!

Thanks!  I've managed to figurhttp://tikktok.wordpress.com/2013/05/03/its-broken/ out how to do that, right now I'm feeding her egg yolk which is a little easier because I can put it in a medicine dropper.  She actually fought me today when I was feeding her, so that is a good sign.  I'm still worried that she won't hold her head up, but if I determine after doing this for a while that she is seriously crippled, I'll put her down (although then I'll have to spend another day crying....makes my head hurt).

Wry neck is totally treatable and curable. It is likely to get worse before it gets better. Hang in there!

Thank you.  I'm not sure if it's wry neck or if the injury got a tendon or muscles or something.  She does seem to be perking up a bit, so I'll keep hoping and treating.  I just don't want her to suffer.

Either way, you could try some gentle massage. And you can do baby asprin for pain (unless you suspect internal bleeding). Injury is so hard. :(

Thanks! I've managed to figure out how to do that, right now I'm feeding her egg yolk which is a little easier because I can put it in a medicine dropper. She actually fought me today when I was feeding her, so that is a good sign. I'm still worried that she won't hold her head up, but if I determine after doing this for a while that she is seriously crippled, I'll put her down (although then I'll have to spend another day crying....makes my head hurt).

fl.gif
Can she hold her head if she wants to, or does it just hang down limp? It could be that it´s just so sore that she doesn´t want to move it.

Can she hold her head if she wants to, or does it just hang down limp? It could be that it´s just so sore that she doesn´t want to move it.
Update: Little one is doing fine, no issues at all and has even opened that eye. Although I suspect she is blind in that one, we'll see how it progresses.

8 mo old pullet - I was ready to put her down yesterday, she just seemed to be in so much pain. I gave her the prescribed meds again (pain, anti inflammatory, antibiotic) yesterday afternoon along with some more egg yolk and of course water. Last night at bedtime, she had moved to the other side of the cage where she would have access to the food & water but I didn't see her eat or drink anything. This morning, I got her out to give her water and egg yolk, she took the water easily, but wanted nothing to do with the egg yolk. So, I took her outside (it's warm here) so she could get some sun and fresh air. She found a bug and ate it!! So, I put some mealy worms in front of her and she ate more and more and more! Looks like she might make it folks!

I'm going to continue the water regimen until I'm sure she's drinking on her own since drinking involves moving the head up so much.

Back
Top Bottom