Backyard Brahmas!!

I have a flock of just Brahmas. I love them to bits and I think I'll stick with this breed forever
celebrate.gif
I did start out with Amber Links, 12 of them, and I gave one to my mom. She loves them, so I might give her the other 11. When I said I had a 'flock' of Brahmas.....I might have been exaggerating a bit. I actually have only 5 Gold Partridge, but we found a breeder who does all the colours, so I think I'll get 2 light, 2 buff and 3 dark. Maybe a buff laced one and a silver laced one too, but since the silver laced ones are quite rare, she might not breed them...we'll see.
wink.png
Having a flock of different coloured Brahmas....what could be more perfect??
love.gif

I only have 5 gold partridge brahmas, 4 hens and a rooster. Anyone know what other Brahma hens I should buy to get beautiful colouring? I'm new at breeding these chickens, so sorry if this is a silly question. Just excited to have a colourful, gorgeous Brahma flock.
love.gif
If you get a blue partridge brahma or red pyle brahma you can start having fun with colors:
Partridge = Gold Partridge
Splash partridge = Red Pyle

Partridge x Partridge
= 100% Partridge
Partridge x Blue Partridge = 50% Partridge and 50% Blue Partridge
Partridge x Splash Partridge = 100% Blue Partridge
Blue Partridge x Blue Partridge = 25% Partridge, 50% Blue Partridge and 25% Splash Partridge
Blue Partridge x Splash Partridge = 50% Blue Partridge and 50% Splash Partridge
Splash Partridge x Splash Partridge = 100% Splash Partridge

Once you have blue partridge and red pyle you can "make" blue silver brahma. I posted pics of a blue silver brahma above. They are my favorite.

If you want to get really exotic you can play with the lavender color. I personally deal with the penciled/partridge brahma only. I suspect someone will offer lavender partridge int he US before I could "make" with the lavender brhama eggs for sale on ebay.

Just a reminder. True red pyle is black breasted red ( or some times called wild type) with the addition of dominant white, thereby changing the normally black plumage white and leaving the red mostly intact. There is no penciling in the female red pyle's pattern.

Breeding a two copy dominant white red pyle to a black breasted red will produce all red pyle young, (one copy dominant white chicks, but will still look red pyle) If you were to breed one of these one copy red pyles to a black breasted red, 50 % of the resulting chicks would be one copy red pyles.

And for some unknown reason British back yard poultry folks like to call gold based splash phase Brahmas as red pyle, but they are not. Maybe it has to do with driving on the other side of the road. Using the example breeding above, compare.

Breeding a splash phase blue partridge (two copies of blue) to a gold partridge (0 copies of blue) produces 100% blue partridge (one copy of blue), no red pyle. Again all properly patterned females regardless of copies of blue of blue should be finely penciled patterned, red pyle would not.

It may seem like a small thing, but it's easier to learn it right in the first place, than create unnecessary confusion.
old.gif

Just a reminder. True red pyle is black breasted red ( or some times called wild type) with the addition of dominant white, thereby changing the normally black plumage white and leaving the red mostly intact. There is no penciling in the female red pyle's pattern.

Breeding a two copy dominant white red pyle to a black breasted red will produce all red pyle young, (one copy dominant white chicks, but will still look red pyle) If you were to breed one of these one copy red pyles to a black breasted red, 50 % of the resulting chicks would be one copy red pyles.

And for some unknown reason British back yard poultry folks like to call gold based splash phase Brahmas as red pyle, but they are not. Maybe it has to do with driving on the other side of the road. Using the example breeding above, compare.

Breeding a splash phase blue partridge (two copies of blue) to a gold partridge (0 copies of blue) produces 100% blue partridge (one copy of blue), no red pyle. Again all properly patterned females regardless of copies of blue of blue should be finely penciled patterned, red pyle would not.

It may seem like a small thing, but it's easier to learn it right in the first place, than create unnecessary confusion.
old.gif
Big Medicine,

Help me out with the red pyle. I've hear "red pyle brahma" are not the same as "red pyle" in other chicken breeds. I crossed blue partridge brahma with blue partridge brahma to get "red pyle". Are these birds not a black breasted red? Sounds like they are not. If not, how would I breed that into my flock? None of my"red pyle" pullets or hens have a partridge design. I did have one chick at 2-3 weeks that did have a faint partridge design, but it faded as she got older. She was the result of my "red pyle" pictured above over a blue silver brahma hen. I have asked about that cross and told it should be valid with the gold/silver sexing rules applied, and understanding the silver based male offspring would be mismarked. Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks,

cowsr4eating

Wait wait!! red Pyle??? I can relate to lights,darks, blue and splash what does a red Pyle look like?? I really really like blue or silvers. but pls I really wish there was a guide book to chickens like the Sibley Field Guide To Birds!!!I search off site to see so many different breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom