Backyard Brahmas!!

So which "splash" exactly do I have here? Can you tell just by looking?
hmm.png

Kind of hard to see fine detail in that photo. Any penciling on this hen ? If not, looks to be columbian patterned, maybe a blue buff columbian. Are the males of this breeding buff, or blue chested ? If the male is buff chested would confirm columbian pattern

Now as to whether she is blue or splash may be another discussion. Depending on the line, if they tend to be very dark blue, she might be splash, but my money would be on her being blue. My splash buff columbians are much lighter necked and tailed.

Wait wait!! red Pyle??? I can relate to lights,darks, blue and splash what does a red Pyle look like?? I really really like blue or silvers. but pls I really wish there was a guide book to chickens like the Sibley Field Guide To Birds!!!I search off site to see so many different breeds.

Sounds like a Standard Of Perfection would fill the bill for the most part. You may have to go to the old English Game Bantam section to get the colors figured, and then imagine these unofficial color schemes painted on a Brahma canvas.

The take home message I am trying to get across here is, there are no real red pyle Brahmas (that I am aware of anyway), they are in fact splash phases of blue partridge, or possibly buff columbian.

Ah, thank you Big Medicine! I may just add blue or silvers to list for next year.I keep looking for post of the different colors and keep missing it!Also will hens flag their tails when ready to mate? I know the squat n feet dance sign but two of my girls keep doing this.

Last edited:
Big Medicine,

Help me out with the red pyle. I've hear "red pyle brahma" are not the same as "red pyle" in other chicken breeds. I crossed blue partridge brahma with blue partridge brahma to get "red pyle". Are these birds not a black breasted red? Sounds like they are not. If not, how would I breed that into my flock? None of my"red pyle" pullets or hens have a partridge design. I did have one chick at 2-3 weeks that did have a faint partridge design, but it faded as she got older. She was the result of my "red pyle" pictured above over a blue silver brahma hen. I have asked about that cross and told it should be valid with the gold/silver sexing rules applied, and understanding the silver based male offspring would be mismarked. Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks,

cowsr4eating

When I say black breasted red, I am referring to a color variety seen most often in Old English Games.

Now this looks somewhat similar to partridge, but both black breasted red, and red pyle for that matter are based on e+/e+ while partridge is e^b/e^b based. Partridge also has two copies of the pattern gene PG/PG not found in the other two.

As far as "red pyle" being different in Brahmas than in other breeds, I suspect this likely a result of folks trying to make them sound catchy, kind of a marketing ploy, or maybe just being lazy. There have been other rather innovative names applied to some new experimental varieties of Brahmas and other breeds. Claiming it, does not necessarily make it so.

The only way to bring in the dominant white found in true red pyle would be to breed it in. The buff laced Brahmas carry it.

How strong and crisp is the penciling in your black and or blue birds ? If all the genetic components in proper double copies are present, I would think the penciling should still be visible, be it blue or splash.

LOL. Well first off I was sure she was a he. And all of mine are supposed to be of partridge lineage as that's how I bought them. I'll try to get better pics of them up later, this one in particular. Thanks!

Here is my first broody. She is on 7 eggs that are "due" tomorrow but we have two early arrivals :) My kids are super excited!!
Congratulations! What a pretty momma!
I haven't yet had a light broody. This year I used an EE...she hatched 6 out of 7 but I had to put one down. Still, 5 healthy Brahma chicks makes me very happy!

So I was reading somewhere about vulture hocks showing up in brahmas and now I'm worried. Not terribly I suppose since my darks are just hatchery chicks and not supposed to be show quality anyway. But I keep looking at my little cockerel and thinking he's growing big old leg fins like the d'uccles. Am I just imagining things or are those vulture hocks he's growing in?

Sorry they're not the best pics. He's a pain in the butt about having his picture taken. He'll stand there all majestic and gorgeous in the middle of the yard.. As soon as I turn on my camera...He lays down ><
Speaking of butts, he's actually my daughters and was supposed to be a pullet. She keeps saying if he gets those big poofie brahma rooster butt cheeks she's gonna eat him. Look at that fluffy butt though! How can you not love that ^_^

And here's a final one of my little man, his sister and his harem of banty pullets in my flowers.

Which brings me to my last concern. As I said earlier, this little man was supposed to be a pullet. We picked both of them from the dark brahma pullet bin at TSC. I intentionally raised the two "pullets" with my bantam pullets to ensure that even if they were not accepted my mixed flock of bigger hens that they'd have the two brahma hens to sort of look over them and keep them warm in the winter.
Now that one of those hens has turned out to be a rooster, do I have to worry about him crushing the bantam hens once they all hit that age? He's a big baby already and is going to be devastated if I have to separate them but I don't want anybody getting hurt. He can't help it if he's growing into a beast among the Belles lol

So I was reading somewhere about vulture hocks showing up in brahmas and now I'm worried. Not terribly I suppose since my darks are just hatchery chicks and not supposed to be show quality anyway. But I keep looking at my little cockerel and thinking he's growing big old leg fins like the d'uccles. Am I just imagining things or are those vulture hocks he's growing in?

Sorry they're not the best pics. He's a pain in the butt about having his picture taken. He'll stand there all majestic and gorgeous in the middle of the yard.. As soon as I turn on my camera...He lays down ><
Speaking of butts, he's actually my daughters and was supposed to be a pullet. She keeps saying if he gets those big poofie brahma rooster butt cheeks she's gonna eat him. Look at that fluffy butt though! How can you not love that ^_^

And here's a final one of my little man, his sister and his harem of banty pullets in my flowers.

Which brings me to my last concern. As I said earlier, this little man was supposed to be a pullet. We picked both of them from the dark brahma pullet bin at TSC. I intentionally raised the two "pullets" with my bantam pullets to ensure that even if they were not accepted my mixed flock of bigger hens that they'd have the two brahma hens to sort of look over them and keep them warm in the winter.
Now that one of those hens has turned out to be a rooster, do I have to worry about him crushing the bantam hens once they all hit that age? He's a big baby already and is going to be devastated if I have to separate them but I don't want anybody getting hurt. He can't help it if he's growing into a beast among the Belles lol
How old is he/she?

Back
Top Bottom