Backyard Brahmas!!

Just to follow up on bumpercarr's answer here.

As stated, one copy of blue gets you blue, two copies splash, but no copies gets you black. As the blue gene only affects the black part of a feathers pattern, the feathers base color gold or silver is not altered. So no copies of blue gets you a black penciled feather in partridge pattern be it gold, red (mahogany in true partridge) buff, or even silver in darks.

Blue to blue breedings result in 50% blue, 25% splash, and 25% black chicks + or -.
blue to black, 50% blue, 50% black.

Right idea, just cleaning up the terminology some.
Thanks, big medicine. I always know what I'm trying to say, but you always seem to say it so much better!
big_smile.png

So this is my brahma at 6 weeks old. It has been feathering in so incredibly slow compared to all of my other chicks and it's beak is obscenely large. Any idea? Is this a characteristic of a pullet? or a roo? or what in the world is going on with this beak?

Does anyone have any pictures of their Brahma eggs? I have a mystery layer in my coop that laid a brown egg with almost pinkish spots on it and I think it might be my white Brahma Iris, but I am not sure and was hoping to see other Brahma eggs to compare, but I can't find any.

Does anyone have any pictures of their Brahma eggs? I have a mystery layer in my coop that laid a brown egg with almost pinkish spots on it and I think it might be my white Brahma Iris, but I am not sure and was hoping to see other Brahma eggs to compare, but I can't find any.
Mine are pinkish tan, if they have spots they are usually lighter but it is rare. Unfortunately, when I collect eggs each day (all of my birds are Brahmas) I end up with as many colors as eggs. Some are light, some are darker, some are pink, some are tan....there really isn't a standard color. Sorry, can't be of much help to you except maybe see if you can't catch her in the act.

You could try setting up a nest box "trap" that would keep a layer in the box until you come collect. That way you can find out who is laying which color egg.

Last edited:
My 2 Brahma hens just started to lay. I was wondering what their laying habits are like during the winter. Are they a no lay when it's cold type bird or what? Also on a normal basis what are their laying habits. Daily?

Back
Top Bottom