Backyard Brahmas!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SD Bird Lady, Jan 8, 2013.

1. silver1313

silver1313 Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    Oh wow !! cant wait til mine get this big ... such a very handsome boy !!!

2. crazycluck86

crazycluck86 Chirping

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    Yes he's very popular with the ladies! He's only coming up to 12 months old so still has some filling out to do :)

3. crazycluck86

crazycluck86 Chirping

Mar 8, 2013
    uk
    Yes he's very popular with the ladies! He's only coming up to 12 months old so still has some filling out to do :)

4. silver1313

silver1313 Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    oh wow gonna be a huge roo lol ill bet he is popular

5. mderby48

mderby48 Chirping

Feb 10, 2013
    Mexico, NY
    Yay, a Brahma thread where you wont get attitude for having hatchery birds! I'm in! I have never posted in the other one but I have read the whole thing and I guess I was just afraid to post anything. Anyways I have 6 buff brahmas, 6 weeks old and 4 light Brahma, 5 weeks old. All hatchery and I love them! They are so beautiful. I will have to get some new pics and post them. Have a good night all :)

6. sethliv1

sethliv1 Hatching

Apr 13, 2013
    My best friend and I decided to raise chickens this year. After lots of searching online regarding egg size, bird size and docility traits, we decided to go with Brahmas. We ordered ours through McMurray and they are awesome! We ordered all females since our main interest was eggs and my husband wanted some roasters at some time. We now have 26 Light Brahmas and 1 exotic, which we think is a female Salmon Faverolle, who are 2 weeks old and they are so much fun! I could sit and watch them for hours! My kids are involved which I love. It's become a great family and friend operation.
    I'm really happy I found this thread to hear from other Brahma mammas.
    Shannon

1 person likes this.
  7. silver1313

silver1313 Songster

Jun 5, 2011
    Gettysburg, PA
    yay other new people [​IMG]

they are certainly fun to watch aren't they sethliv1?!

8. Vickis Girls

Vickis Girls Chirping

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    sethliv1, Sounds like my story, too. I decided a couple years ago that I wanted chicken friends. Started building the coop this past Sept. and just now getting it finished. Searched for a beautiful, hardy, mellow chicken breed and decided to go with Brahmas. Mine won't be here for a couple more months, and I can hardly wait, but need to finish the run. It snowed here all day long, so I got nothing done on it. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
    Anyway Shannon, we're all glad you found this thread, too!

mderby48, It's crazy how intimidating someone else's text can be, huh? I posted sometimes, but got ignored a lot, and I found out that silence is pretty intimidating too! What hatchery did you order from? Mine will be coming from MPC. four buff and two lights. All female. Man I'm so excited!
    Vicki

9. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    Can anyone tell me where I could get Light and Dark Brahma chicks or pullets in the vicinity of Moore, Hoke, and Richmond Counties in the Sandhills of North Carolina?

They are some of the most beautiful of hens. I'm only going to be able to get 4-6 hens and I want Brahmas, Delawares, and Australorps.

PS, is it abominable of me to think that vulture hocks look really cool? Reminiscent of the "4-winged" microraptor dinosaurs.

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I started out with other chickens, but the hawks were killing my guys. I did research to find a BIG chicken that the hawks would leave alone. I already had a Brahma bull and thought it would be neat to have Brahma chickens, too. Thankfully, once they get to a certain size, the hawks leave them alone, so I can free range my guys without worrying.

The other thread is pretty intimadating. There are some really serious breeders there. I understand their wanting perfection in their birds, but I just love Brahmas. I don't care about show quality - the colors I have aren't show-able anyway! It got to where I was afraid to post on that thread. This one is MUCH friendlier. I hope I don't bore y'all with all my pictures, but I have lots of Brahmas and I love to show them off!

This thread is perfect for those of us who just love our Brahmas with or without faults. They are all beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: