Backyard Brahmas!!

SD Bird Lady, I'm so glad I found this thread!
I've had a tough time figuring if I was making a huge mistake with hatchery Brahmas. I even cancelled my order when I was told they'd be mean, and re-ordered when I figured out that I was misinformed.
I'm working on the run now that Spring is finally here. My girls will be here mid June. It's a late date, but needed the extra time to get ready for them.
Don't know if you remember, but you gave me good info by pm's regarding roost heights, etc. And yes, the "true to breed" thread has scared me off several times.
So glad to be here!

I am hoping to get some more people but so far not many takers. I do rememer. When you get all done post pics and definitly post pics of the babies. What hatchery are you ordering from? I think I may order some more as right now the only rooster I have is EE and I would like to keep my breeds "pure" I reccommend Cackle as they are much closer to what you see in photos then the ones I recieve from ideal. You will have fun with them they are great birds.

My chicks will come through My Pet Chicken. I've heard that they're the middle man for Meyer, but it was only through MPC. that I could order 6 chicks. So will figure out how to post pics of the babes and coop and even a real avatar.
Today I'm starting the siding on the severely overbuilt coop, Then it's done, and will get going on the run. I am so looking forward to chicks!

Yay! Thanks, Vickis Girls, for mentioning this thread. I love my Brahmas, every one. I have been developing unusual colors, and they are not show quality, but I think they are beautiful.

I have found with my Brahmas that docile & quiet are not interchangeable terms like with some animals. My girls are always screeching & have the loudest egg song of any chickens I have ever been around. They also call & call if they get split from the group. I love them to death but never imagined they would be so vocal. Ironically the Rooster I had was pretty quiet haha Has anyone else found this to be true of their birds or are mine simply a talkative bunch?

Hello. Moving here from the Brahma thread after I learned that my birds did not qualify as brahmas because their legs are the wrong color and a couple have straighter combs than is "necessary". I feel like I'm in limbo because they say they aren't brahmas and the breeder says they're crazy.
hu.gif
I don't care, they're beautiful birds and that's all that matters to me.

I saw that. I think they are beautiful. It's too early to say about the combs, but they look like Brahmas to me. The comb in the first picture looks like a pea comb, which is correct.

I moved over here, too, as soon as I found out about this site.

Back
Top Bottom