Backyard Brahmas!!

I figured maybe I had skipped over a feed question, and you were calling me on it.

The breeding ratio question answer depends on the size and age of the male. Meaning a large show quality Brahma would probably not cover as many hens as a smaller hatchery bird. A young male will tend to be more active than a older male. I would think a young hatchery male would likely keep good fertility with up to a dozen hens.

I figured maybe I had skipped over a feed question, and you were calling me on it.

The breeding ratio question answer depends on the size and age of the male. Meaning a large show quality Brahma would probably not cover as many hens as a smaller hatchery bird. A young male will tend to be more active than a older male. I would think a young hatchery male would likely keep good fertility with up to a dozen hens.
No, you didn´t skip anything about feed, but that was good information, thank you for that. It was me, I didn´t check what I´d posted
Now, why would a large cock not be able to cover (obviously used in the chicken world too) as many hens as a small one? And does the success have anything to do with fluffy butts?

For instance, I have a brahma cock with 4 brahma hens (He´s not huge, but he´s from a breeder....I don´t think there are any hatcheries here for 'ornamental' chickens) so I´ve no idea if he could cope with much more or not.
People here that I´ve seen their set-up with Brahmas keep them in 2s or 3s, sometimes 4s but not a lot. I feel sorry for the hens, but they seem fine..
So, what makes the ratio important? We don´t understand the 'science' of this. Thank you.

A true show quality Brahma is a large sometimes verging on cumbersome animal. Not as quick or agile, or probably active as a smaller bird.

The fluffy butt thing I have never known to be a issue in Brahmas. Show quality Cochins on the other hand are a whole different deal. You have probably heard me harp about vulture hocks in Brahmas in the U.S.. These come from one of two origins, either imported stock, or crossing to Cochins. I believe most show quality Cochins have them, they just have so dang much feather and fluff you can't really tell.

Most serious breeders probably keep their breeding pens smaller for a couple reasons. They are only breeding from their very best birds. They are trying to keep a more genetic diversity in a long term breeding program by using more males, separate pens. Could be some pens are concentrating on tweeking different features, be it size, color, width of head, wing carriage, you name it. Eventually incorporating all these improvements in their final ideal bird.

Depending on your goals, the ratio could vary significantly.

A true show quality Brahma is a large sometimes verging on cumbersome animal. Not as quick or agile, or probably active as a smaller bird.

The fluffy butt thing I have never known to be a issue in Brahmas. Show quality Cochins on the other hand are a whole different deal. You have probably heard me harp about vulture hocks in Brahmas in the U.S.. These come from one of two origins, either imported stock, or crossing to Cochins. I believe most show quality Cochins have them, they just have so dang much feather and fluff you can't really tell.

Most serious breeders probably keep their breeding pens smaller for a couple reasons. They are only breeding from their very best birds. They are trying to keep a more genetic diversity in a long term breeding program by using more males, separate pens. Could be some pens are concentrating on tweeking different features, be it size, color, width of head, wing carriage, you name it. Eventually incorporating all these improvements in their final ideal bird.

Depending on your goals, the ratio could vary significantly.
Thanks for that Big Med (sounds like a pharmacy
smile.png
)
Very helpful summary for us here.
I hear a lot of people harp on about VHs, but not everyone on this forum is in the US, and in a lot of other countries there´s no problem with it, so it´s not always such a vehement 'no-no' that comes across at times.
But other information about Brahmas is, of course, useful and applicable whatever country, so thank you for that information and explaining about the fluffy butts theory !!
lol.png

Now, verbal dribble....
I like my Brahmas. I try to keep them as close as I can to the desired look (feel free to snigger anyone, no prob) with height, (my cock-birds get to about 2' tall, so not VERY tall), the width of head (not gross, though, just that lovely indignant look), the width of body, feathers on the middle toe, etc... Mine´re bigger than most other birds around here, (for example, there´s the 1-metre-tall 'indian') and they are beautiful, they attract attention, but aren´t what I´d call cumbersome.
People here don´t take these things too seriously...for instance, a small fluffy dog is a poodle, a big black-and-tan short-coated is a dobermann, long-coated is a German shepherd, etc...
BUT there´s supposed to be a Dutch guy who lives in a town about 2 hours away who has big Dutch birds, 'imports' eggs, but I haven´t managed to track him down yet.
A lot of people who breed them here don´t know a brahma from a cochin, nor are they worried, so I have to be careful., though I expect mine have some cochin in them due to the 'experimental' colours (my original cock had messy buff/gold in his breast feathers). I´d love a big cock brahma, but I´ll hang onto the one I have until I can replace him, as nothing I´ve found here is a good as he is! (and I´m sure breeders over where you are would think he ain´t that good!) And I think importing birds probably just isn´t worth the bother for me. I´ll keep looking, though.
big_smile.png

Anyone else have problems with their brahmas getting gizzard impaction and consequently starving? My older flock has free-ranged and grass impaction in the gizzard (not crop) has been a huge battle. So this winter, I thought I would be sure to add grit directly into their feed and it should grind everything up and impaction would be cleared. This I have done, but yet I am not getting any weight gain with this group of brahmas. The hens are extremely thin (basically skin and bones). When I think of a brahma, I think of large 5+ lbs. not 2-3 lbs. So I'm really not sure if I should end their lives now and give up hope or wait and see if they are able to gain weight? I guess I'm considering worming, but I really wouldn't suspect worms since I see nothing in their poop. The Easter Eggers seem to be better, not big, but not starving like the brahmas. What to do?

Anyone else have problems with their brahmas getting gizzard impaction and consequently starving? My older flock has free-ranged and grass impaction in the gizzard (not crop) has been a huge battle. So this winter, I thought I would be sure to add grit directly into their feed and it should grind everything up and impaction would be cleared. This I have done, but yet I am not getting any weight gain with this group of brahmas. The hens are extremely thin (basically skin and bones). When I think of a brahma, I think of large 5+ lbs. not 2-3 lbs. So I'm really not sure if I should end their lives now and give up hope or wait and see if they are able to gain weight? I guess I'm considering worming, but I really wouldn't suspect worms since I see nothing in their poop. The Easter Eggers seem to be better, not big, but not starving like the brahmas. What to do?
How old are they?

I would try searching for gizzard compaction. From what I have read, usually surgery is the only thing that can clear the obstruction. I have not had this problem, but I suppose it depends on the area they graze. I personally would avoid using them for breeding as it is a "weakness" IMO Hope someone can be of more help.

Almost 2 years old.
They should be a good size, then. Are they actually compacted? Can you feel it? ..... But if it were this, would they not have died already?
Or are you just trying to guess what could be the problem.
It would be good to worm them, I´d say. Also, I know you put grit in their feed..I let mine have access to sand and gravel for dust-bathing and to aid digestion, too, as I can´t get grit here.
Brahmas do eat a lot more than some other breeds, of course. My brahmas are free-range and haven´t had this problem, so I can´t comment on personal experience any more than this.

I'm so darned excited!!!! Someone laid an egg! It's our first. I'm so excited. It's a little brown egg. For some reason I look at it and I think I might feel dirty eating it. It's so little and cute!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
I'm so darned excited!!!! Someone laid an egg! It's our first. I'm so excited. It's a little brown egg. For some reason I look at it and I think I might feel dirty eating it. It's so little and cute!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif
Nice one! The little egg may not be worth eating, anyway! But they´ll get bigger! And the others will follow...you´ll soon be inundated with eggs!

Back
Top Bottom