Backyard Brahmas!!

Thanks for starting this friendly thread :)

I have Australorps and Barred Rocks, this is my first experience with Brahmas. I got two dozen Buffs from TSC on Friday....pretty excited to get to know this breed!!

As a Brahma noob, I have some beginner questions - starting with the color variations on the chicks.

As the pictures below will illustrate, my batch of Buffs contains the well known dark body/yellow wing combo, but also dark body/dark wing, all golden, and all golden with stripes. All chicks have feathered legs so I'm confident that they're Brahmas at least!

So I guess my question is...are they all Buffs?

Here you go, pictures of the 7 week old that was injured and the 4 weeks olds. The little one in the food tray is the runt of the coop, 1/2 the size of all of the rest. I think it is a cockerel, but I think the rest are pullets. Let me know what you think.

Thanks for starting this friendly thread :)
So I guess my question is...are they all Buffs?

I would say the first picture are the buffs. I have 12- 10 week old buffs and as tiny chicks they looked like yours. As for the second picture I'd say Dark but that's a guess really. Have fun with them, I know I have.
Welcome to the thread.

Here you go, pictures of the 7 week old that was injured and the 4 weeks olds. The little one in the food tray is the runt of the coop, 1/2 the size of all of the rest. I think it is a cockerel, but I think the rest are pullets. Let me know what you think.
Oh bumpercarr she/he looks good. I'm so happy she/he was able to recovery from it's tramuatizing experience. How's the older bird?

Oh bumpercarr she/he looks good. I'm so happy she/he was able to recovery from it's tramuatizing experience. How's the older bird?
I think it's a she.
big_smile.png

Still holding her own, she's eating and drinking but need supplemental water as she's not getting enough. I'm giving her an additional 2-3 teaspoons 3 times a day, that is way down from the 2-3 teaspoons every hour! But, she's eating and drinking so things aren't looking so grim anymore. Thanks for asking!

Last edited:
I think it's a she.  :D

Still holding her own, she's eating and drinking but need supplemental water as she's not getting enough.  I'm giving her an additional 2-3 teaspoons 3 times a day, that is way down from the 2-3 teaspoons every hour!  But, she's eating and drinking so things aren't looking so grim anymore.  Thanks for asking!

That's great to hear...I hope she continues a successful recovery. She sounds like a fighter.

I would say the first picture are the buffs. I have 12- 10 week old buffs and as tiny chicks they looked like yours. As for the second picture I'd say Dark but that's a guess really. Have fun with them, I know I have.
Welcome to the thread.

Thank you, trueblue :)

Took the peeps out for some Easter sunshine and an introduction to the compost pile...

Back
Top Bottom