Backyard Brahmas!!

The chipmunk striping usually indicates the presence of some pattern genes, possibly partridge, single laced, double laced, penciled, etc. The shaded legs makes me lean toward another Easter egger, as they seem to come in about any color/pattern. I'm guessing a ruff less one, in this case.

Yes all Brahmas should have fuzzy legs/toes at hatch.
thank you gary, we beginners need all the help we can get

This one is almost impossible to get a good pic of.

I'd give it away if I didn't want it.  I wouldn't dump it either.  I've managed to give my unwanted away in the past just by passing the word around with my friends that I have one to give away.  You can also go to the needs rehoming page and post there.  Another thought is to let the folks in your area (where am I where are you forum) that you have an araucana cockerel to give away.  Lots of folks are looking for araucanas so I think you can rehome him pretty easily.

Giving away to me is the same as dumping. I would never dump an animal. I have a friend who is going to take him. When I take responsibility for a animal its mine always. I felt guilty not wanting the little guy. He is so darn cute. Thanks for the advice!

Giving away to me is the same as dumping. I would never dump an animal. I have a friend who is going to take him. When I take responsibility for a animal its mine always. I felt guilty not wanting the little guy. He is so darn cute. Thanks for the advice!
Can you explain that a little more? "Dumping" (to me) is doing just that - dumping the animal out to fend for itself (happens a LOT with cats and dogs being left near our property - I just *love* taking care of those animals) -- giving an animal away, though, means you have taken the time and made the effort to find a home for that animal and placed him/her directly in that home/with that person. VERY different than just dumping them out to find a new home on their own.

I work with an animal rescue and people are always dumping their dogs on someone else for some reason or another (moving to no animal land, sudden allergies after 10 years, having a baby, etc) chickens are no less important than a dog so that is my reasoning and my opinion as they get scared stressed and excited. I know the bird world is different from the rescue world I work with I just want to make sure I'm giving the little guy a chance and not dumping him on someone else fit the wrong reasons.

If giving away is the same as dumping, then you are dumping yours on your friend who is going to take him. What's the difference?

I happen to disagree. If you find a home for an animal, that is nothing like "dumping" an animal. In the first case, you find someone who wants the animal and will take care of it, whereas the second, you are abandoning the animal to forage and take care of itself.

Last edited:
If giving away is the same as dumping, then you are dumping yours on your friend who is going to take him.  What's the difference?

I happened to disagree.  If you find a home for an animal, that is nothing like "dumping" an animal.  In the first case, you find someone who wants the animal and will take care of it, whereas the second, you are abandoning the animal to forage and take care of itself.

exactly which is why I feel guilty....
The hatchery put me in a bad position.
We can agree to disagree :)

Back
Top Bottom