Backyard Brahmas!!

One of my buff brahmas!

Last edited:
I have some mutt brahmas. The offspring of a buff roo over a light and dark cross. The roos are light and the pullets are buff. Im putting their eggs in the bator next weekend. Any ideas on how they may look?

Luv all the chick pics! Really like the buffs...I'm going to have to get some of those.

Right now I have 126 eggs in the incubators....120 are Brahma. I'm very nervous about getting any to hatch. Every time my boyfriend uses the welder in the shop the lights flicker in the incubator room...scared that it's somehow messing up my thermostats.
Locked down the first 40 eggs last night...please keep your fingers crossed for me!

I picked up my 6 week old Brahmas to weigh yesterday and their feathers seemed on the rougher side. I had not picked them up for a week, so wondering if thats how Brahma feathers are supposed to be? I put them out in the coop 3 days ago, would staying in the sun too long may have caused it?

BTW I definitely think one of them as a cockerel. I love him, especially his foot feathers, but can't keep roosters since my neighbors complain. Anyone within 75 miles of Chicago who is interested? I can drop him off!

I picked up my 6 week old Brahmas to weigh yesterday and their feathers seemed on the rougher side. I had not picked them up for a week, so wondering if thats how Brahma feathers are supposed to be? I put them out in the coop 3 days ago, would staying in the sun too long may have caused it?

BTW I definitely think one of them as a cockerel. I love him, especially his foot feathers, but can't keep roosters since my neighbors complain. Anyone within 75 miles of Chicago who is interested? I can drop him off!
It is a little difficult to tell without actually feeling the feathers, but generally, they are growing and molting so many feathers all at the same time that they can sometimes feel "rough" to the touch. Also, since they are now in the coop they may be actually taking some dust baths which will also make them feel a little rough depending on how dry and sandy your soil is. Sorry, I'm about 1500 miles from Chicago so can't help you out.

Back
Top Bottom