Backyard Brahmas!!

Bumpercarr looks like you've got a good start there. I really like the hen...do you know how old she is?

Cabinchicky I agree you can't go wrong with more Brahmas. I have a very mixed layer coop and the Brahmas just go about their business without all the drama of the other breeds.

Suyoder those all look like pullets to me.

BigMedicine how hard is it to get rid of single combs from a cross? Do they still pop up say 5 or 6 generations down the road?

Suyoder those all look like pullets to me.

BigMedicine how hard is it to get rid of single combs from a cross? Do they still pop up say 5 or 6 generations down the road?

Really?! Sweet! :) I am so confused about gender with my Brahmas. Guess i will have to keep them all and see who turns out to be what in the end.

I was curious about the comb question too...

@livininbrazil and @Huntress78
Here are the pictures of my babies. I have no idea which ones they are. The breeder said blue or gold. Maybe y'all can help me out. They are both 2 weeks.

A1mom, I don't have a whole lot of experience with this variety but the first pic sure looks like my gold partridge pullet. The second one seems to have a blue cast to the down...when I blew up the pic it was too blurry to see clearly though.
If I had to guess I'd say you have one of each.
D.gif

Others with more experience may have a different opinion.

A1 ours are the same age! Mine are going on 2 weeks this weekend; just shot a few pics. The close-up is of the one with the most feathering. One has ZERO wing feathers so far, another has very few and most of the rest have at least some. Funny how different they all are but I'm not stressing over sexing yet. A couple look like they're wearing glasses when you see them head-on but I don't think it's showing in either group pic, lol.

REFUSED to stand for me :gig

They are "lit'rally" terrified of me, haha.

Last edited:
Midget duty today. Kid's got a sense of humor, at four months old, have a volcanic eruption in her diaper, then look at you and smile.

Single combs are recessive and only occur when there is a lack of pea comb (P), and rose comb (R) genes present. Breeding a single combed bird (pp) to a two copy pea combed bird (PP), which good Brahmas should be, would result in all (Pp) chicks which will be pea combed in appearance, but can pass a (p) on to half of it's chicks.

This is directed at rose comb breeding but you get the idea. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/understanding-the-heritiability-of-the-rose-comb-trait

@livininbrazil and @Huntress78
Here are the pictures of my babies. I have no idea which ones they are. The breeder said blue or gold. Maybe y'all can help me out. They are both 2 weeks.

I´d guess the first is gold partridge pullet, the secon looks to be pullet too, the next one looks to be a cockerel, and as Huntress says, looks a bit bluey. The last one also looks to be a cockerel. Don´t take it as 100%, but if they were mine, that´s what I´d expect.
A1 ours are the same age! Mine are going on 2 weeks this weekend; just shot a few pics. The close-up is of the one with the most feathering. One has ZERO wing feathers so far, another has very few and most of the rest have at least some. Funny how different they all are but I'm not stressing over sexing yet. A couple look like they're wearing glasses when you see them head-on but I don't think it's showing in either group pic, lol.

REFUSED to stand for me
gig.gif

They look terrified, too! sweet little things. They´ll be pretty later.

A1mom, I don't have a whole lot of experience with this variety but the first pic sure looks like my gold partridge pullet. The second one seems to have a blue cast to the down...when I blew up the pic it was too blurry to see clearly though.
If I had to guess I'd say you have one of each. :cd
Others with more experience may have a different opinion.

Not much is more than I have. Lol I have no idea but I know the one that has feathered out more, the feathers look pretty. I'm excited to see them fully feathered.

REFUSED to stand for me :gig

Lol they are cute. My babies run away from me too. But I try to get the out a few times a week and work with them so they get more use to it.

I´d guess the first is gold partridge pullet, the secon looks to be pullet too, the next one looks to be a cockerel, and as Huntress says, looks a bit bluey.  The last one also looks to be a cockerel.  Don´t take it as 100%, but if they were mine, that´s what I´d expect. 
They look terrified, too!  sweet little things.  They´ll be pretty later.

There are only 2 I just posted 2 pics of each. But because of the rate of feathering and tail feathers I was thinking the same thing. First one pullet and second cockerel. I hope that is the case.

When they feather out more I will try to get more pictures. They are not very into selfies!!

Back
Top Bottom