Backyard Brahmas!!

Bama that's terrible! ;)

Must be a hatchery thing? I've had several, several cockerels from my own flock and all very docile. I'd let any kid go into the run with Big Boy.. Heck he won't even protect his girls from a dog!

Last edited:
ep.gif

That is some bird there oh my.
Wondering what am I getting myself into lol.

And he isn't even fully grown yet! I would guess that he's as tall and wide as he's going to get, but he'll put on a few pounds before he's done. He probably weighs in at about 11 lbs right now.

Anyway, the point of the picture was that my niece didn't have any trouble at all handling him. I caught him for her, she took him from me (and believe me, she isn't that great at handling chickens) with no trouble at all. He didn't peck, scratch, flap or anything. Just let her hold him and the other nephews/nieces/grandchildren pet him while she held him. Then she set him down and he walked away. Maybe it is breeding, maybe it is handling....I don't know for sure.

I think he is a very handsome fellow. I am used to birds weighing in at about 6 pounds. I am not so worried now about my little bantams since the new birds will be growing up with them already in the flock. My largest bird is a BO and weighs in at about 7 pounds. Sadly she has a bad tendon in her leg and has always walked funny. Poor thing.
Most of the existing flock are being culled for one reason or another. Mainly age.
Poor Twinkie because she is having more and more difficulty getting around.

I will of course be handling the little ones often enough to keep them tamed down. Don't want a wing to the eye during an exam.

Thank you for posting the pic. I think it helps me to understand how large they truly are and also how mild mannered they can be.

Babs

One other question.... Do you happen to notice a difference in temperament between the different colors of Brahma? Say light vs dark or buff?

I think he is a very handsome fellow. I am used to birds weighing in at about 6 pounds. I am not so worried now about my little bantams since the new birds will be growing up with them already in the flock. My largest bird is a BO and weighs in at about 7 pounds. Sadly she has a bad tendon in her leg and has always walked funny. Poor thing.
Most of the existing flock are being culled for one reason or another. Mainly age.
Poor Twinkie because she is having more and more difficulty getting around.

I will of course be handling the little ones often enough to keep them tamed down. Don't want a wing to the eye during an exam.

Thank you for posting the pic. I think it helps me to understand how large they truly are and also how mild mannered they can be.

Babs

One other question.... Do you happen to notice a difference in temperament between the different colors of Brahma? Say light vs dark or buff?
I only have gold partridge and darks. Their temperaments are about the same. I've heard that darks are more temperamental than the other varieties, but I can't verify that.

The ones I have reserved are darks. I have a Wyandotte that is a real snot. She draws blood if given the chance. Not by scratching or flogging but by biting. It all started with her when she was broody the first time. Yesterday she got me again. She is stew pot bound on the express track for it.

My brahmas have always been incredibly gentle and easy to handle. I have placed several in family situations and they do wonderfully. I have three different genetic lines in my flock, and four colors (light, buff-laced, gold-laced, and splash). I have three roosters that live together in a small flock, and they roost together at night. I've done nothing special in their raising or handling - this is a notoriously gentle, friendly breed.

Back
Top Bottom