Backyard Brahmas!!

I've never had hatchery laced brahmas, so I can't tell the difference.( I can't upload a photo because my wifi is HORRIBLE.) Their lacing looks good. They all have orange feet-- that's normal, right?--the silver laced had a couple roosters last year. They look just like the rooster I'm selling.
They are 2 but they're still laying really good.

$45 for all four of them. The chicks are mixed, so I just tossed them in the deal cause i don't need them.
It's just a lady who wants a little backyard flock for eggs. She isn't planning on showing them I don't think, but if she did I think they're pretty nice quality.

If someone could post a pic of a SQ and a non-SQ that would be great

I don't know that there are any truly show quality birds in the laced varieties just yet. About the time I think I am getting there, going to a big show and seeing the size of truly show quality lights puts it in perspective.

These are some illustrations of what show quality Brahmas should be built like.

These are some of mine.

So they wouldn't be able to be "shown"? The lady said they were a rare color, which makes sense if they're "projects". How do you do that? (get laced birds)
They can be shown, they just can't win anything above best of variety. How you do that is years of work crossing laced birds (of another breed) into your brahmas hoping that you get more brahma out of them than whatever it is that you crossed in to get the pattern. Same with the color. @big medicine has done a lot of work on laced projects from what I understand. He can probably fill us in about how difficult it really is.

I don't know that there are any truly show quality birds in the laced varieties just yet. About the time I think I am getting there, going to a big show and seeing the size of truly show quality lights puts it in perspective.

These are some illustrations of what show quality Brahmas should be built like.

These are some of mine.

droolin.gif

These are some of mine.

Your birds are beautiful! Did you see my pic of the roosters? How do they look?

Your birds are beautiful! Did you see my pic of the roosters? How do they look?

They are young and have a bunch of growing and filling out to do yet, but from what I see. The darker bird on the right does not give me the impression of having much skull at all. You want a nice wide head (and body) on a Brahma. Although he does look like he might have a deeper chest on him. Another thing that catches my eye are the hocks, both look to have way too much feather at the hocks, compare them to the illustrations I posted. Color/pattern wise the bird on the left looks to have better pattern.

Last edited:
They are young and have a bunch of growing and filling out to do yet, but from what I see. The darker bird on the right does not give me the impression of having much skull at all. You want a nice wide head (and body) on a Brahma. Although he does look like he might have a deeper chest on him. Another thing that catches my eye are the hocks, both look to have way to much feather at the hocks, compare them to the illustrations I posted. Color/pattern wise the bird on the left looks to have better pattern.
He has some kind of birth defect I think. There's a little spot on his head that has always been bald, that probably has something to do with it.
Their bodies are wider now; they're as big as the "dad". None of them have as much lacing on their chest as the one in your pic has.
Yes, the left one is better looking and prettier.

I'm not planning on showing them, if anyone thought that's what I meant.

Thanks for all your help!

Rooster dilemma, have to go to the city because while it says nothing about rooster restrictions in our codes. it says "up to 15 chickens for family food production" in my zone. And some of you voted roo for my guy but I am not sure if that includes a roo

So that guess still stands?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom