Backyard Brahmas!!

Thanks! They ARE really big, which I think is the only reason the hawks haven't made a meal of them yet. We had a little brown hen last fall too but it only lasted a few weeks then disappeared from the yard, only a pile of feathers left :(

Hi, just wondering if anyone could take a guess at what breeds these guys may be? I got them last fall and they are 3-4 years old. It doesn't really matter to me what type of cross they are, I'm just curious
smile.png

They are wonderful to have around, very docile and friendly. They LOVE to fling the mulch out of my flower beds and now each has a favorite 'hole' to lay in at the front of the house.
Darks.

Thanks! They ARE really big, which I think is the only reason the hawks haven't made a meal of them yet. We had a little brown hen last fall too but it only lasted a few weeks then disappeared from the yard, only a pile of feathers left :(
The hawks in my neighborhood won't come near the brahmas. They even leave the chicks alone, I'm sure only because the adults look so big and they are afraid they'll lose that battle. If they only knew that my brahmas are so docile they'd probably just watch while the hawk ate.

The hawks in my neighborhood won't come near the brahmas.  They even leave the chicks alone, I'm sure only because the adults look so big and they are afraid they'll lose that battle.  If they only knew that my brahmas are so docile they'd probably just watch while the hawk ate.

Actually I think they'd run for cover, hide! Wonder if the mama hen would fight a hawk?

Another, more recent, photo
I would agree the cock is probably a dark Brahma. If I am seeing it correctly that the hem has some brown/tanish coloring then I would assume she is some kind of mix, a dark hen should be silver based with black penciling so I am guessing she is mixed possibly with a buff brahma, but I am no expert either.

I would agree the cock is probably a dark Brahma. If I am seeing it correctly that the hem has some brown/tanish coloring then I would assume she is some kind of mix, a dark hen should be silver based with black penciling so I am guessing she is mixed possibly with a buff brahma, but I am no expert either.
They are both darks. No doubt in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom