BACKYARD CEDAR PLAYHOUSE

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
Hi everyone! Newbie here looking for a coop. I will be getting 3 bantam chickens, as allowed by law in my area, and so I dont need anything too big bc I worry about keeping it warm in winter. I just placed an order for Backyard all-cedar playhouse
It is 42 inches by 47 inches.
I need directions on how to add a nesting area in the window. (materials? readymade?) the window size is 21 x 19 roughly)
The other window will be the door, so I need directions for a door mechanism please.
I can add HC to the top two openings for ventilation.
Lastly I dont know what to do with the half door. Should I make a large door over the small one? Should I not add the small one and just make a full size one? Can I buy a ready made door? would a vinyl plank or vinyl shutters work?
Oh also, what base do you all add? HC in addition to plywood? I wanted to cover it all with a thick rubber mat cut to size.

Thanks for all your help! I was torn between cedar or plastic. But I love the hardiness and insect-repellant properties of this.

I'd replace the door with a full sized one.
Cover the large windows with HC and a top hinged window or shutter.
Just put a nest on the floor.
Probably have to build all that, not going to find anything on a shelf to plug and play.

Welcome to BYC! @SamIamNam786
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1691758635763.png

Do you have tools and some skills to modify things?

I looked at a lot of these for my sisters coop and saw some clever things. One thing I’d likely do is raise it up off the ground on a simple wood frame. This elevation will help your back to do maintenance and can use the space underneath for whatever you want- chicken jail, storage, more run space, etc.

I’d make sure to put this inside a very secure run so you don’t need to worry about the coop being super secure.
I’d make a full door to for the big door opening, so you have maintenance access. Can be plywood, fence boards, pallet slats, etc. I’d likely put a vent window in the door with a hinged cover to control the airflow depending on weather.
The window where you want a chicken door, I’d consider an automatic door like a T-50 Run Chicken and just add whatever pieces of lumber needed to mount it there and fill the rest with wood or even leave it meshed as a window/vent.
If you want your nest box in the other window that should be fairly simple too. Looks big so I’d block half horizontally with wood and make the other half a hinged door or flap. A simple box mounted inside for the nest.
May need some short roof extensions or something over the doors and windows because of the very short roof overhang on the structure

Do you have tools and some skills to modify things?

I looked at a lot of these for my sisters coop and saw some clever things. One thing I’d likely do is raise it up off the ground on a simple wood frame. This elevation will help your back to do maintenance and can use the space underneath for whatever you want- chicken jail, storage, more run space, etc.

I’d make sure to put this inside a very secure run so you don’t need to worry about the coop being super secure.
I’d make a full door to for the big door opening, so you have maintenance access. Can be plywood, fence boards, pallet slats, etc. I’d likely put a vent window in the door with a hinged cover to control the airflow depending on weather.
The window where you want a chicken door, I’d consider an automatic door like a T-50 Run Chicken and just add whatever pieces of lumber needed to mount it there and fill the rest with wood or even leave it meshed as a window/vent.
If you want your nest box in the other window that should be fairly simple too. Looks big so I’d block half horizontally with wood and make the other half a hinged door or flap. A simple box mounted inside for the nest.
May need some short roof extensions or something over the doors and windows because of the very short roof overhang on the structure
You are amazing! Thank you for this information! I'm not handy but my husband is...im the animal person, and the one to tell him how to modify, , and he's the one who just does they modification..this information is golden. Thanks!

How’s your playhouse coop conversion going? I’m rehabbing a playhouse that was converted into a coop now. Would love to trade ideas with you. I’m really studying how to add ventilation. Here’s what I’m working on
IMG_9355.jpeg

Hi everyone! Newbie here looking for a coop. I will be getting 3 bantam chickens, as allowed by law in my area, and so I dont need anything too big bc I worry about keeping it warm in winter. I just placed an order for Backyard all-cedar playhouse
It is 42 inches by 47 inches.
I need directions on how to add a nesting area in the window. (materials? readymade?) the window size is 21 x 19 roughly)
The other window will be the door, so I need directions for a door mechanism please.
I can add HC to the top two openings for ventilation.
Lastly I dont know what to do with the half door. Should I make a large door over the small one? Should I not add the small one and just make a full size one? Can I buy a ready made door? would a vinyl plank or vinyl shutters work?
Oh also, what base do you all add? HC in addition to plywood? I wanted to cover it all with a thick rubber mat cut to size.

Thanks for all your help! I was torn between cedar or plastic. But I love the hardiness and insect-repellant properties of this.
Have you researched cedar and the respiratory issues it can cause? The smell of cedar while a great repellant can be toxic but at very least overwhelming to chickens (and ferrets I will add my female ferret almost died from my lack of knowledge and research) cedar smells great in my opinion but maybe try pine instead? Also my chickens love to catch insects so I don't really worry about repellent but you can also try various essential oils that work as insect repellent. Lavender, peppermint, lemongrass etc. That have other beneficial properties such as stress relief and opening up your chickens airways.

Have you researched cedar and the respiratory issues it can cause? The smell of cedar while a great repellant can be toxic but at very least overwhelming to chickens (and ferrets I will add my female ferret almost died from my lack of knowledge and research) cedar smells great in my opinion but maybe try pine instead? Also my chickens love to catch insects so I don't really worry about repellent but you can also try various essential oils that work as insect repellent. Lavender, peppermint, lemongrass etc. That have other beneficial properties such as stress relief and opening up your chickens airways.
Cedar lumber is not necessarily the aromatic kind of cedar....and lumber is not as toxic as cedar shavings.
Essential oils can be a respiratory irritant to birds.

How’s your playhouse coop conversion going? I’m rehabbing a playhouse that was converted into a coop now. Would love to trade ideas with you. I’m really studying how to add ventilation. Here’s what I’m working onView attachment 3618861
So we ended up going with a prefab bc my husband had already ordered one and we worked to hack it. Added am extra cross ventilation by adding hardware cloth and thick plastic over it for rain or snow. Extra roost bc the ones inside were at level with nesting area. Vinyl tile to the pull out galvanized floor for ease in cleaning. Double coat of sealant so it lasts through the weather. Extra run for larger space.

Attachments

• IMG_5511.jpeg
    IMG_5511.jpeg
    857.4 KB · Views: 22
I did, but I heard that the shavings were dangerous and the cedar lumbar was actually a really great building material for it.

So we ended up going with a prefab bc my husband had already ordered one and we worked to hack it. Added am extra cross ventilation by adding hardware cloth and thick plastic over it for rain or snow. Extra roost bc the ones inside were at level with nesting area. Vinyl tile to the pull out galvanized floor for ease in cleaning. Double coat of sealant so it lasts through the weather. Extra run for larger space.
So cute! What kind of chickens did you get? We’re adding a hardware clothed mirror opening in the eaves similar to what you did. Appreciate your pic. That roost level with the nest boxes is one of the playhouse coops limitations I think. I plan on probably making a board to block the nest boxes at night on mine.

Back
Top Bottom