BACKYARD CEDAR PLAYHOUSE

Cedar lumber is not necessarily the aromatic kind of cedar....and lumber is not as toxic as cedar shavings.
Essential oils can be a respiratory irritant to birds.
Yes that is why you should always add them to a carrier oil! I haven't had any issues with my chickens and give them fresh herbs too! The peppermint, rosemary, oregano, and lavender I gave one of my hens really helped her pull thru after a dose of VetRX!

So we ended up going with a prefab bc my husband had already ordered one and we worked to hack it. Added am extra cross ventilation by adding hardware cloth and thick plastic over it for rain or snow. Extra roost bc the ones inside were at level with nesting area. Vinyl tile to the pull out galvanized floor for ease in cleaning. Double coat of sealant so it lasts through the weather. Extra run for larger space.
I think 3 bantams will be happy with this space you provided them!

So here's where we are...still concerned about ventilation...there are 4 windows near the roof, about a foot away from the roost bar. Two of the thin ones in the front and back have wooden sliding doors to close. The other two large large windows on the sides (above the nesting box and another above the run), they were originally covered in plastic, but we took those out and added hardware cloth. Do I need to cover them for winter in nj (tempts can get as low as 30s...) what do you suggest? I do have a thick plastic but not sure how to utilize it.
IMG_5533.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5530.jpeg
    IMG_5530.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5529.jpeg
    IMG_5529.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 9
Do I need to cover them for winter in nj (tempts can get as low as 30s...) what do you suggest? I do have a thick plastic but not sure how to utilize it.
30s is not cold. However you do want to keep any draft and precipitation out. Do you know what your wind directions look like in relation to the vent directions? Figuring out a way to extend out the monitor roof on front and sides would probably go a long way in reducing both of those.

I think 3 bantams will be happy with this space you provided them!
This coop currently houses 5 hens and has room for at least 3 more. There are 3 roost bars inside. I also have expanded the run bc I didn’t like the flat top of the original prefab

Attachments

• IMG_6313.jpeg
    IMG_6313.jpeg
    633.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6315.jpeg
    IMG_6315.jpeg
    565.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6311.jpeg
    IMG_6311.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom