Backyard chicken has swollen eye

Annazaspel

Hatching
Jul 1, 2017
I just noticed last night that my chicken of 4 years has a swollen eye and today when I checked on her it looked worse. I have read about people giving their chickens antibiotics but I am not able to get any. Is there anything else I can do? Is this fatal or will it clear up? Please help. Thank you.

IMG_0809.JPG

Does your chicken have any signs of a respiratory illness, such as sneeze or cough, nasal drainage, wheezing, or acting very lethargic? Look around the eye for signs of a peck wound, sting or tick bite. Note if there is any bubbles, gunk or sticky drainage from the eye. Antibiotics are mostly obtained through a vet, but Tylan 50 injectable which treats some respiratory diseases, can be bought at many feed stores. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound given orally or by injection twice a day for 5 days.

Does your chicken have any signs of a respiratory illness, such as sneeze or cough, nasal drainage, wheezing, or acting very lethargic? Look around the eye for signs of a peck wound, sting or tick bite. Note if there is any bubbles, gunk or sticky drainage from the eye. Antibiotics are mostly obtained through a vet, but Tylan 50 injectable which treats some respiratory diseases, can be bought at many feed stores. Dosage is 0.2 ml per pound given orally or by injection twice a day for 5 days.
I do not see any peck mark or injury on it. I did see bubbles earlier when I was looking at it and she has stopped laying eggs. I asked my local chicken supplies store if they carried any antibiotics and they said no. Is there anything else I can do? And could it kill her?

Antibiotic lotion. Over the counter at your local drug store. Smear some of the goo in her eye.... tomorrow she will probably look much better... not a bad looking eye compared to many others i have seen posted and or have had to treat. Good luck.

Last edited:
Tylan 50 injectable is a cattle medicine used also for chicken respiratory illnesses. Did you ask the clerk for Tylan 50 injectable? You would need syringes and 18 or 20 gauge needles to withdraw it from the vial, but it can be given orally or by injection. They also usually sell Terramycin eye ointment which can be used in the eye twice a day, but clean any drainage or crust from the eye first. If you cannot get that, you could use plain triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin.

Tylan 50 injectable is a cattle medicine used also for chicken respiratory illnesses. Did you ask the clerk for Tylan 50 injectable? You would need syringes and 18 or 20 gauge needles to withdraw it from the vial, but it can be given orally or by injection. They also usually sell Terramycin eye ointment which can be used in the eye twice a day, but clean any drainage or crust from the eye first. If you cannot get that, you could use plain triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin.
Ok thanks so much

Antibiotic lotion. Over the counter at your local drug store. Smear some of the goo in her eye.... tomorrow she will probably look much better... not a bad looking eye compared to many others i have seen posted and or have had to treat. Good luck.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom