Backyard Chicken Shelf Life

Muunda

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Seriously, how long can backyard chicken eggs remain good. I say this because my flock is about to reach a hundred hens and I would like to start marketing my eggs as organic foods compared to the eggs that are on the market from layers. I however need to know how long my eggs can stay on the shelf of a supermarket without going bad.

Last edited:
I would suggest that it's more a matter of the legalities of selliing them, and I assume of being certified as organic, which of course will depend on where you live. In my supermarket, eggs are refrigerated, and are usually about a month old when sold. I believe they can remain edible up to 6 months under refrigeration. I know they will go bad sooner if not refrigerated. But I can't even sell eggs to a neighbor or friend because I haven't been certified to sell in my state.

Becoming organic certified is extremely expensive and time consuming; wrought with red tape and just really not worth it. You are looking at laying out an awful lots of money (friends looked into this with their produce-10k!). I would just use the term "local" everyone knows what you really mean by that. If you are going commercial, then it might be worth it to go to the expense but be ready for some heavy-duty record keeping and bureaucratic intrusion.

Eggs
The Georgia Egg Law governs the production and sale of eggs. The egg processing facility must be licensed by GDA unless selling restricted eggs. Most eggs sold at Farmers’ Markets will be considered “restricted eggs.” That simply means that the eggs are being sold from the producer’s own flock directly to the consumer (end-user), each sale involving less than 30 dozen eggs from a flock of less than 3,000. However, all eggs offered for sale must be graded by a certified grader and appropriately packaged and labeled in accordance to the GA Egg Law and GA Food Act, rules and regulations. So, even though a small scale egg producer is not required to have a food sales establishment license and therefore undergo routine inspections, the small scale egg producer is required to abide by State regulations, which include obtaining an egg grader’s certificate (or candling license). Contact your respective District Office to request class information.
Basic Regulatory Requirements for Licensing a Small Egg Producer

Back
Top Bottom