Backyard chickens vs HOA

MrRodgers

In the Brooder
Jan 11, 2016
Has anybody had problems with their HOA regarding backyard chickens? In my city and state (Albuquerque, NM), they're legal. I only have 3 hens, so there's no noise problems. But my HOA governing documents say “no animals, livestock, horses, insects or poultry of any kind shall be kept, raised, or bred in the Subdivision.” I know each HOA is different, but if you came across this problem, what did you do? Did you try to fight it? Talk the HOA to make an excemption? Or just gave in and got rid of your chickens?

It depends on your relationship with the members of the board.
In my experience, HOA indentures trump any ordinances.
City ordinances are much easier to change.
I'm organizer of a BYC meetup group with 700 members. Several of the members have had battles with HOAs and always lost, some after years of legal battles.

Has anybody had problems with their HOA regarding backyard chickens? In my city and state (Albuquerque, NM), they're legal. I only have 3 hens, so there's no noise problems. But my HOA governing documents say “no animals, livestock, horses, insects or poultry of any kind shall be kept, raised, or bred in the Subdivision.” I know each HOA is different, but if you came across this problem, what did you do? Did you try to fight it? Talk the HOA to make an excemption? Or just gave in and got rid of your chickens?

Well.... first I'd never live in a HOA by choice.
Second, if I had no other choice, I'd check the by-laws before getting chickens to make sure they were allowed before spending one penny on my new hobby.
If you have found yourself in the situation where the rules very clearly state you cannot have them but you got them anyway and now neighbors are none to keen on the idea, your best option would be to try to change the by-laws. I would research if other HOAs in your region allow a few hens. Then use that leverage to try to get a petition going in your own HOA and work to change the restrictions.
Unfortunately, the rules are not in your favor. Some people just do not want to live around livestock and that is why they chose to live in a restricted community. They will adamantly oppose the change.

Well.... first I'd never live in a HOA by choice.
Second, if I had no other choice, I'd check the by-laws before getting chickens to make sure they were allowed before spending one penny on my new hobby.
If you have found yourself in the situation where the rules very clearly state you cannot have them but you got them anyway and now neighbors are none to keen on the idea, your best option would be to try to change the by-laws. I would research if other HOAs in your region allow a few hens. Then use that leverage to try to get a petition going in your own HOA and work to change the restrictions.
Unfortunately, the rules are not in your favor. Some people just do not want to live around livestock and that is why they chose to live in a restricted community. They will adamantly oppose the change.

That's the thing. I THOUGHT I read the CCRs clearly (which is 200+ pages long) and I must've missed the part saying my quote above. However, I've been at the house for 2 years, my neighbors love the chickens and have never seen or heard a complaint before. I don't know where the heck this notice is coming from if nobody is complaining about them. I'm in the military and we move every few years. I'm moving out again in exactly one year from now. I imagine changing by-laws will be a long process that would last longer than my time at the house.

That's the thing. I THOUGHT I read the CCRs clearly (which is 200+ pages long) and I must've missed the part saying my quote above. However, I've been at the house for 2 years, my neighbors love the chickens and have never seen or heard a complaint before. I don't know where the heck this notice is coming from if nobody is complaining about them. I'm in the military and we move every few years. I'm moving out again in exactly one year from now. I imagine changing by-laws will be a long process that would last longer than my time at the house.

Sorry to hear about the problem! In your situation, I would just give/sell the girls to someone who will care for them. In the future, try to place yourself where you can have chickens and look forward to a new flock, and picking your next breed(s). Good Luck and thanks for your service!

...I imagine changing by-laws will be a long process that would last longer than my time at the house.
Truer words were never spoken.

HOAs are intractable. I fought my city to allow chickens along with some other keepers in the city limits. We packed city hall every 2 weeks and after a year, we can now do whatever we were doing before. The city also made allowances for HOAs so they didn't have to allow chickens.

Back
Top Bottom