BACKYARD GOATS?

The goats I will most likely be getting (because they are raised near by by a church friend) are a cross between Nubian and Boer. Do any of you have experience with a similar cross? What could I expect milk wise?

well, she isn't with her kids or any others. stopped milking her in oct.. and she had gotten so large that her belly started cracking. so a poltise was applied. heard about mastituse but three vets never heard of it and have no idea what to do...I need help. I am afraid she will die.

well, she isn't with her kids or any others. stopped milking her in oct.. and she had gotten so large that her belly started cracking. so a poltise was applied. heard about mastituse but three vets never heard of it and have no idea what to do...I need help. I am afraid she will die.

Are you saying your vets have never heard of mastitis? What do you mean her belly is cracking? How is her udder? Is she eating and moving around? If she is pregnant and not eating her grain she probably has pregnancy toxemia and the treatment is propylene glycol which should be available at the livestock supply. You can dose with honey or corn syrup until you get the propylene glycol. Post a more detailed description of her symptoms and when she is due. What is her temperature?

Are you using a large animal vet? If they treat animals like goats, they should know what mastitis looks like. It could be lots of different things though. I would definitely recommend having one of them out asap.

thank u, no she is not pregnant. and the vets are saying they didn't think so about the mastitis. though I have a large animal vet, he has not called me back. I will let u know how this turns out. I am loading her up and taking her to this last vet. tomorrow morning... I am so worried about her. oh and her little amount of milk has no weird / bad smell, and no odd contents. thanks again.

thank u, no she is not pregnant. and the vets are saying they didn't think so about the mastitis. though I have a large animal vet, he has not called me back. I will let u know how this turns out. I am loading her up and taking her to this last vet. tomorrow morning... I am so worried about her. oh and her little amount of milk has no weird / bad smell, and no odd contents. thanks again.

She isn't overly large on the left side, is she?!? I would like first ensure she isn't bloating. No major food changes or over feeding type situations.

I keep Nigerian Dwarfs and Mini Lamanchas. If they were in heat last month and don't go back into heat this month she most likely is pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom