BACKYARD GOATS?

Ju
Why are crossbreds a problem in terminal food animals? There are LOTS of people - breeders - producers that cross Boers out with other breeds. Never been an issue in the sale barn.

In fact, my daughter just bought a dappled percentage Boer doe this fall, who is pregnant by another dappled percentage Boer.  The other pregnant doe she purchased is a full Boer, who is also pregnant by the same dappled stud. The dapples are a result of crossing a Nubian with a Boer...

Just my opinions on breeds, breeders, producers... I personally believe in maintaining the purity of the current registered breeds as opposed to mixing down multiple species to create our own versions...

Owning cross breeds does nothing to harm the existing pure breeds. Many producers of many kinds of livestock do this as a way of combining the best traits of both breeds of whatever they are raising. I have owned Boer cross goats for years, it has done nothing to harm the pure bred Boer population nor the diary breeds they are crossed with. To each his own. If someone want's to raise registered animals for show and sales that's fine, but there is not one thing wrong with breeding and owning cross bred animals.

You
Owning cross breeds does nothing to harm the existing pure breeds.  Many producers of many kinds of livestock do this as a way of combining the best traits of both breeds of whatever they are raising.  I have owned Boer cross goats for years, it has done nothing to harm the pure bred Boer population nor the diary breeds they are crossed with.  To each his own.  If someone want's to raise registered animals for show and sales that's fine, but there is not one thing wrong with breeding and owning cross bred animals.

You'll note that I said it's just my opinion... Never said it did anything to harm the existing breeds :)

You
You'll note that I said it's just my opinion... Never said it did anything to harm the existing breeds
smile.png

Ju
Just my opinions on breeds, breeders, producers... I personally believe in maintaining the purity of the current registered breeds as opposed to mixing down multiple species to create our own versions...

Yes, I understand it's your opinion, expressed in response to the folks here who have cross bred their animals or purchased cross bred animals. When you say you "believe in maintaining the purity of the current registered breeds as opposed to mixing down multiple species..." that sounds very much like you believe mixing breeds is a detriment to purebreds. My apologies if that's out of context.

As I said before, to each his/her own. I guess I just don't really see the need to express dislike or disdain to the folks on this thread for owning, breeding or purchasing cross bred animals.

Yes, I understand it's your opinion, expressed in response to the folks here who have cross bred their animals or purchased cross bred animals.  When you say you "believe in maintaining the purity of the current registered breeds as opposed to mixing down multiple species..." that sounds very much like you believe mixing breeds is a detriment to purebreds.  My apologies if that's out of context. 

As I said before, to each his/her own.   I guess I just don't really see the need to express dislike or disdain to the folks on this thread for owning, breeding or purchasing cross bred animals.

Again, I merely expressed my preference. MY opinion. There is no disdain or dislike for anyone in what I said or in what I believe. As you said "to each his/her own"

Clearly, you are very passionate about this subject. I appreciate people with passion a great deal. I too, am passionate and expressed that with no negativity. If I have offended anyone with my opinion than I must apologize.I still won't change my opinion though...

Hello I am looking for some advice on my goats , I bought them a few weeks ago and they were 4 months when i did . i got one male and one female . well my sister said today she seen the male mounting the female and now i am wondering if he could actually impregnate her and if so is it ok for me to put a separator fence through the pen to keep them from breeding because i am not sure she is old enough or weighs enough yet to breed . but it is getting cold around here and rainy so i am worried they wont be warm if they cant snuggle they are a lamancha type milker goat breed and i read this is the season males go into rut but I didnt think he was old enough yet . So any experienced advice is much appreciated i think i do need to separate them tomorrow as long as they can touch noses they shouldn't get to lonely

Thanks so much

Tiffany
is the male neutered

I just brought home a trio of goats (Christmas for me and the kids) but am a first time goat owner. I have owned nearly everything else on the farm, but had a few questions for experienced goat owners. (BTW, my new goats are about 4 mo old and are 3 pigmy goats; 2 nannies and a billy) The vet will be called first thing Monday to see about neutering the billy (hope we have no shenanigans between now and then but they have been running together from the start). My questions are:

1. What kind of items does everyone recommend I have "on hand" for emergencies and such outside of those normally kept for horses, chickens and such as I already know/ have those. I need goat specific such as baking soda (I think).

2. basic feeding for young goats (4 mo old). They can eat privet right?

3. Tricks for training/ dealing with behaviors and such that may be different from horses or other herd type animals.

4. Co-habitation with chickens (right now they have their own space but want to be able to turn them out to free range in a large paddock with the chickens when I am home.

5. Any other first timer advice.

Thanks

I just brought home a trio of goats (Christmas for me and the kids) but am a first time goat owner. I have owned nearly everything else on the farm, but had a few questions for experienced goat owners. (BTW, my new goats are about 4 mo old and are 3 pigmy goats; 2 nannies and a billy) The vet will be called first thing Monday to see about neutering the billy (hope we have no shenanigans between now and then but they have been running together from the start). My questions are:

1. What kind of items does everyone recommend I have "on hand" for emergencies and such outside of those normally kept for horses, chickens and such as I already know/ have those. I need goat specific such as baking soda (I think).

2. basic feeding for young goats (4 mo old). They can eat privet right?

3. Tricks for training/ dealing with behaviors and such that may be different from horses or other herd type animals.

4. Co-habitation with chickens (right now they have their own space but want to be able to turn them out to free range in a large paddock with the chickens when I am home.

5. Any other first timer advice.

Thanks
Two things I was NEVER without when I had goats. One was GasX. It works better than anything else I have ever tried for bloat. Most people use oil, but it is too easy to get oil into the lungs and in that case you have cured the bloat and killed the goat. GasX is fast easy and safe.You can find it at any grocery or drug store. The second thing is clostridum perfingens antitoxin to treat entero. Both bloat and entero are true emergencies and can strike suddenly and without warning. Time is of the essence and you just don't have time to go to the vet or livestock supply for something to treat the animal with.

I never did much in the way of training other than to teach them to lead. To do that I just led them. Unlike a horse or cow they are small enough to do that.

Make sure they cannot get into the chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom