Backyard Mix Cockerels for meat: what to feed?

I want to grow out the male chicks I have to butcher. They’re mixed with marans, australorp, and EE. What diet should I feed them and what age is best to butcher?
How old are they? I'd feed a 20-22% meat bird starter for the first 6 to 8 weeks. Then switch to an 18% start and grow type feed. When they get to about 14 weeks, I'd drop it to about 15%.
The genetics of your birds is different from Cornish X, Freedom Rangers or other meat breeds so you just have to protract the program you would use with those meat types.
You can eat them at any time but probably about 18 weeks. I used to butcher when they started to crow but now I let them grow out longer. Hopefully you have separate housing for the boys.

IMO, anything above 22% is too high for any chicken at any age with the possible exception of a true meat hybrid in the first couple weeks.
They aren't genetically predisposed to handling those high crude protein percentages like game birds are. Game bird chicks and poults eat primarily animal protein during their first few weeks of life. Jungle fowl mix it up more with higher percentages of seeds so they have evolved for lower protein intake than gamebirds.

IMO, anything above 22% is too high for any chicken at any age with the possible exception of a true meat hybrid in the first couple weeks.
They aren't genetically predisposed to handling those high crude protein percentages like game birds are. Game bird chicks and poults eat primarily animal protein during their first few weeks of life. Jungle fowl mix it up more with higher percentages of seeds so they have evolved for lower protein intake than gamebirds.
<--- I would go with that over what I posted.

Mine are on starter grower 20% thru first bag of feed then to 18% grower till 18 weeks. Cockerels get freezer camped at 12 weeks

<--- I would go with that over what I posted.
You recommended 20%. I think that is fine for the first few weeks. I was referring to those who recommend 28% or heaven forbid, higher.
That higher protein will be shed in the feces because the bird can't utilize it so it ends up in the bedding as ammonia.
While excess protein isn't the best, for birds that will be butchered soon, it probably doesn't matter a lot.

You recommended 20%. I think that is fine for the first few weeks. I was referring to those who recommend 28% or heaven forbid, higher.
That higher protein will be shed in the feces because the bird can't utilize it so it ends up in the bedding as ammonia.
While excess protein isn't the best, for birds that will be butchered soon, it probably doesn't matter a lot.
I just use 20% but I had posted that I thought the 28% might be better. But I was going under the ignorant assumption that higher is always better. Not saying its wrong but since I never used it to compare results it is ignorant of me to say it. 20% meat bird feed was made for feeding birds you intend to eat so its the safest bet so I say go with that.

Back
Top Bottom