Backyard Pole Light

You need the ventilation all year long. I live in SW Indiana and have that same kind of rural light in my yard. My coop sits so the two smaller windows face the light and the much bigger window is on the opposite side facing the rising sun. The coop is big enough so that is is very dark inside at night and there is absolutely no problem with the yard light coming on at dusk.
The chickens start gathering around the coop as the light is coming on, before full darkness they have all gone in the house and roosted for the night. Maybe they are like city kids and know you gotta be home when the street light comes on :p

Very new also to chicken life. Getting first batch next spring. From budget experience though... Build coop such that roof carries out 15-18 inches past coop walls. Creates a soffit that will shade ventilation without decreasing ventilation. On coop sides away from light pole add couple widows to I crease natural light. Can make windows such that during summer they are open for breeze but covered for winter to cut drafts. Window coverings could be hinged at top so when open they provide their own shade. How much open could also be adjustable. Not a chicken owner or experienced yet. So just a cent's worth of idea.

My pole light went out a few weeks after putting it up.. I'm not climbing up there again anytime soon.. I have motion lights surrounding my house.. It's pitch black out there.. The one in the front stays low till there is movement and sort of shines their direction.. I have had no issues, but the blighters will 'sometimes' crow at 3:00AM.. anyway. It's Biblical.

I have a security light beside my run and it does not bother the chickens. Besides it is a good thing to have to ward off predators because they do not like to expose themselves. They prefer to do their raids in the dark.

I leave a light on in our chicken coop 24-7, no problems and I believe it discourages predators.

Glad that it doesn't cause problems for you (just as some people are fine with sleeping with lights/TV on) but many people find that a constant light in the coop causes behavioral issues, as the birds may turn on each other and fight. So if that issue ever comes up, turning off the light would be the first step to try and fix it.

Glad that it doesn't cause problems for you (just as some people are fine with sleeping with lights/TV on) but many people find that a constant light in the coop causes behavioral issues, as the birds may turn on each other and fight. So if that issue ever comes up, turning off the light would be the first step to try and fix it.
;)

I plan to have chickens next year and I am concerned about my pole light. It a rural co-op light that is on a 20' pole. It comes on at dusk and goes off at day break. The coop I have will let this light in. Will that be an issue stressing out the birds?

There really isn't a place I can put move it to block this light unless I board up the ventilation. Any thoughts?
I have the exact same situation. My birds (RIR, Easter Eggers, Oliver Eggers) are doing great and lay very well.

Back
Top Bottom