Backyard Slaughter- same dumb dog

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
My own stupid dog.
My own familys fault- my fault.

I always let the girls out to walk around in my yard on the weekend.

Always.

However, I went to the store and left the girls in the backyard and my family didnt LOOK before they let the stupid weiner dog out. She isnt housebroke- she only goes out to bark, or to bark, or to bark, or to kill anything that is in the yard...or to bark.

It is the same thing every weekend- I let the chickens out, nobody let the dogs out. However my daughter was sleeping when I went to the store- my fault, I know...but whatever.

I am so so so sad- she killed my little serama pullet and my most favorite friendly game banty pullet. Both of them just started laying eggs again since fall. My little silver game banty was my favorite of all, always tugging on my pant leg, wanting to be carried around.

I am soooooooooooooooooooooo upset.

hugs.gif
I really do know how you feel.........

I am sorry to hear about chicken loss.

We also have a wiener dog. A mini with the attention span of a gnat. The cat was easier to train. When we first got the chicks, we knew she would be a problem. Strong prey drive and short attention span. We didn't dare let her out when the chickens were free. She would circle the run when they were locked up, alert and searching for a way in.

Then, we put a hot wire around the run at nose level. WHAM, she hit the wire and would have run all the way to Mexico, if she could have found a way out of the yard. for the next few weeks, she avoided the chickens like the plague. She now mingles with the chickens and we don't worry about it. The chickens even run her off when she gets near the bits of cat food wer toss out now and then. That was almost a year ago.

She may have a short attention span, but she also has a long memory! best wishes and good luck to you.

Quote:
I have one of those, too- but he has a big heart and need to please me. He helped her kill chickens before, and I disiplined the tarnation out of them both- and held him down and let my biggest hen walk all over them. He now avoids my chickens like the plague. She, on the other hand- is still a killing machine. She hasnt learned, and never will.

As azelgin said below you- the attention span of a gnat. That sums her four inch high self up. Cant rehome her, she is the family dog, with a high high prey drive and the stubborness of a mule. However I did say i was taking all my chickens to my brother in laws house, where it was safer- with just hawks and raccoons to worry about.
I didnt mean it- well, I did mean it, but I don't now.
I want a hot-wire out there- and I will get one, this summer. However, it was my fault because I had the chickens out there in the yard, and I failed to make sure everyone in my house knew it.

But I am so sad- that little hen was my therapy. I called her my shrink, always grabbing my pant leg to be held, saved me alot of money in depression drugs and therapy.She is the one that made trudging out there in the cold and the snow worth it. And my poor little Serama- *sigh*- the surviving pullet is the one that survived the weiner dog attack the last time, and I had to get her a new friend when my other serama was killed. Now she is alone again.
sad.png

Im an idiot.
sad.png

Sorry to hear it Mom 2em All.

I've made the same mistake too but never lost any of our pet birds,
just lots of quail chicks and a few meat birds. It's frustrating but we
are only human. Don't be too hard on yourself.
hugs.gif

Thank you for the kind words everyone. Its very nice to have 'here' to come to where people understand.
I sure cant tell people around me here- because I am pretty sure some of them would laugh, and others just wouldnt get it- after all, they are 'just chickens'...
This is a wonderful place to hang out.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom