Backyard transitioning to free range on hobby farm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bgame, Dec 20, 2016.

1. bgame

bgame New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    Newer chicken owner, just hatched my first set of eggs in August. 14 chickens, 5 roosters for sure. Need to thin those out! Just bought a hobby farm and moved our backyard chickens with and looking for advice on how to transition them to free range.

2. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

If you just moved, I'd give the chickens a couple of days inside the coop (and fenced run if you have one) so they'll know where "home" is. Then turn them loose while you're around to keep an eye on things. Around sunset, they should know to go back into the coop. Sometimes I'd have to shake the treat jar (plastic jar with corn & sunflowers in it) to get their attention, that always got them back inside.

Good luck and congrats on your new place!

1 person likes this.
  3. bgame

bgame New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    Thanks! We've been here just over 2 weeks, let them out the first time for about 20 minutes, but they were pretty apprehensive. They have been in their coop without a run since we moved. There is no run... was hoping to free range but there seems to be something living under the coop so I'm apprehensive about leaving outside unattended. And i have 2 under two so it is hard to watch them outside, the coop is a ways from the house.

Another question, the coop is kind of near the road. Do i have to worry about them going on the road or will they see the cars and stay away? It is a country highway, 55mph but not constant traffic... thanks!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

I'd be inclined to move the coop as far away from the road as you can, and when and if finances allow - fence your property.

Good luck with your new farm
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. bgame

bgame New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    Thanks, unfortunately, and fortunately, it is a larger coop that we aren't able to move. I hope on the fir future to build a bigger one when we get more chickens and put that close to the house away from the road, but this is it for now.

There is a hill and a considerable amount of brush between the coop and the road... should this suffice or should i try to put up some fencing?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You should try to put up some fencing. As to roads, you know how much chickens love to cross them, or just sit in the middle waiting to get hit. There are also nasty drivers that will deliberately serve to hit chickens or anything else in the road. Chickens don't understand cars or traffic, most dogs do not either. If something is going on under your coop it may be rats or worse. They are attracted to the chicken feed but, will gladly kill chicks, chickens, and go after eggs.

1 person likes this.
  7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

1 person likes this.
  8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thank you for joining us today, please make yourself at home and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under bgame [​IMG] Welcome!

Good luck with your new venture; very exciting!

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by