Bad bad snake

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Goatsanddogs, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Goatsanddogs

Goatsanddogs In the Brooder

Aug 28, 2019
    So there's a black snake in the barn eating the hen eggs. Should I kill it? Everyone says that Black snakes are good snakes. My husband has been helping me with my hobby farm, since I broke my foot, and has told me there has been no eggs. Today the goats were screaming in the pen. I used the scooter and got down in the pen. I figured since I am here, I'll crawl in the barn and get the egg. So thats when Mr. No Legs and I met. 3 eggs. On in the snake and two in the nest. Proof husband is not checking. Goats are fine. I put up the chicken in the bunny hutch until we can figure what to do with the unwanted snake.

Attached Files:

2. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Gallus gallus domesticus

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    Re-returning snakes will stress out the layers and shut down their cycle. Often we remove large rat snakes from our houses. The hens go on strike. Takes a little time for them to feel secure again.
    Removal of the snake would be wise, if you wish to regain production.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :welcome :frow I would get rid of the snake. Now it's found out where to get an easy meal. Good luck...

4. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    I would relocate it for sure. If you have a woods near you just put it there, it will be fine.

5. Hobbits Mommie

Hobbits Mommie Songster

Sep 21, 2018
    Lakeland, FL
    I live in the swamps of Central Florida and my property is covered up in black snakes. I'm thankful for them because they will eat poisonous snakes, and mice, etc. I've never had one get into my coop. We've secured all openings with 1/4 hardware cloth which will keep out anything big enough to consume eggs. Is that an option for you?

6. mowin

mowin Songster

Jun 17, 2018
    Upstate NY
    That would be the last egg that snake ever ate if it was in my coop.

7. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Crossing the Road

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    I leave the snakes alone... unless they figure out how to get into the coop and the eggs. Then I get rid of the snake. Once they have a meal of your eggs they'll keep coming back until you remove it.

8. TinaMarieofFL

TinaMarieofFL Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Hilliard, FL
    The only good snake is a dead snake. I know some folks believe black snakes (racerbacks) eat poisonous snake but this is a myth...kinda like snakes drinking from udders. I often patrol my yard armed with a .38 loaded with shot shells, but that's just me.

9. slordaz

slordaz hatchaholic

Apr 15, 2015
    Idaho
    snakes and spiders don't fair well where I live, and with the cats and chickens mice stay away too, even the dogs will go after a mouse that comes in the yard lol. if you get to complacent and have baby chicks around snakes will go after them too

10. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Crowing

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    I would pay money for you to relocate that snake here if it were legal.

I would take losing any number of unchecked for eggs per day in exchange for having fewer rats! I wish, wish WISH I had those snakes! Loosing a few eggs is NOTHING compared to the shredded remains of my baby rabbits and chicks, some pulled through the tinyiest gaps in the wire, some just hanging their with their necks stuck through the gaps, their heads chewed off, their organs strewn about... Well, you get the picture.

The dogs can't get down the holes the rats can. But a snake?

You can, of course, do what you want to the snake on your property. But I'd love to be in your shoes and see more snakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: