Bad bad snake

Pics

Goatsanddogs

Chirping
Aug 28, 2019
So there's a black snake in the barn eating the hen eggs. Should I kill it? Everyone says that Black snakes are good snakes. My husband has been helping me with my hobby farm, since I broke my foot, and has told me there has been no eggs. Today the goats were screaming in the pen. I used the scooter and got down in the pen. I figured since I am here, I'll crawl in the barn and get the egg. So thats when Mr. No Legs and I met. 3 eggs. On in the snake and two in the nest. Proof husband is not checking. Goats are fine. I put up the chicken in the bunny hutch until we can figure what to do with the unwanted snake.

Attachments

• 20190828_122101.jpg
    20190828_122101.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 123
So there's a black snake in the barn eating the hen eggs. Should I kill it? Everyone says that Black snakes are good snakes. My husband has been helping me with my hobby farm, since I broke my foot, and has told me there has been no eggs. Today the goats were screaming in the pen. I used the scooter and got down in the pen. I figured since I am here, I'll crawl in the barn and get the egg. So thats when Mr. No Legs and I met. 3 eggs. On in the snake and two in the nest. Proof husband is not checking. Goats are fine. I put up the chicken in the bunny hutch until we can figure what to do with the unwanted snake.
Re-returning snakes will stress out the layers and shut down their cycle. Often we remove large rat snakes from our houses. The hens go on strike. Takes a little time for them to feel secure again.
Removal of the snake would be wise, if you wish to regain production.

The only good snake is a dead snake. I know some folks believe black snakes (racerbacks) eat poisonous snake but this is a myth...kinda like snakes drinking from udders. I often patrol my yard armed with a .38 loaded with shot shells, but that's just me.

I would pay money for you to relocate that snake here if it were legal.

I would take losing any number of unchecked for eggs per day in exchange for having fewer rats! I wish, wish WISH I had those snakes! Loosing a few eggs is NOTHING compared to the shredded remains of my baby rabbits and chicks, some pulled through the tinyiest gaps in the wire, some just hanging their with their necks stuck through the gaps, their heads chewed off, their organs strewn about... Well, you get the picture.

The dogs can't get down the holes the rats can. But a snake?

You can, of course, do what you want to the snake on your property. But I'd love to be in your shoes and see more snakes.

Back
Top Bottom