Bad chick feed?

garden_mom

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2018
central wisconsin
Hello all. Im a brand new member. Ive been raising silkies for maybe a year and a half. I would like some advice or feedback on feed. I usually purchase bags of feed from my local co op. The last 2 bags ive gotten have had something in it thats a web like substance thats kind of stringy and clumpy with the feed stuck in it. Its kind of hard to describe.And what looks like could possibly be mold but im not sure. Im not comfortable feeding it to my chicks.(i have brand new hatchlings). I havent seen this in any ive bought up until the last 2 recent bags. Does anyone know what this is? Is this normal or does it mean its old and i should throw it out? Please help.

I would take it back. Sounds old and probably had some bugs in it at some point. It's best to seek out as fresh of feed as possible to avoid deficiencies in chicks.
:welcome

I would take it back. Sounds old and probably had some bugs in it at some point. It's best to seek out as fresh of feed as possible to avoid deficiencies in chicks.
Thank you very much! I knew it wasnt right and i didnt want to give it to my babies. Unfortunately, my local co op isnt very agreeable to returns so ill probably have to take the loss but i absolutely do not want to risk my babies. Thank you again.

Hopefully you can find somewhere else to buy feed. If not try to find a manufacturing date or mill date on the bags and try to buy as fresh as possible. Definitely under 6 months, under 3 is preferred. Vitamins start to degrade in feeds by than. Chicks are especially susceptible to deficiencies.

Thank you very much! I knew it wasnt right and i didnt want to give it to my babies. Unfortunately, my local co op isnt very agreeable to returns so ill probably have to take the loss but i absolutely do not want to risk my babies. Thank you again.
Be sure to leave them a bad review online if they do not refund it for you. Enough poor reviews and they might rethink their return policy.

Yep, it's old and or has/had bugs in it. If you pour some out, you may see dead bugs in there. I'd buy my feed somewhere else, if they won't take bad feed back. A long time ago, I opened up a brownie mix that had the same thing you described, there were dead moths inside the package. :sick

Last edited:
Welcome! There should be a mill date on each bag of feed, or don't buy it. I want feed that's going to be fed within six or eight weeks of milling, at the very oldest.
Return it, or throw it out, complain, and shop elsewhere. Yuck!
Mary
Thank you very much! Thats exactly how i felt and i feel better that others agree

Back
Top Bottom