Bad egg.

Stone13

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
Lake Village, Indiana
I cracked an egg fresh from the box and it smelled like a stink bomb. Did I miss an egg or is a chicken laying bad eggs, could it have been stuck in her vent for too long? Any help.

A way to check bad or good eggs is to put the egg in cold water that is twice as deep as the egg is when on its side. If the egg floats it is bad and if it sinks it is good.

Last edited:
A way to check bad or good eggs is to put the egg in cold water that is twice as deep as the egg is when on its side. If the egg floats it is bad and if it sinks it is good.
Not exactly. This tests for freshness, not rot. I've had eggs stand nicely on end when I cover them to boil them, but it's just because they're older eggs that have lost moisture and have larger air cells.

You can usually smell a rotten egg before you crack it.

I've never heard of a hen laying a rotten egg. Just being "stuck" in her wouldn't cause the egg to go bad....hens incubate eggs for days, even infertile eggs, and they don't necessarily go bad. I'm thinking you just missed one, but if it continues to happen you'll know the hen might need to be culled.

Back
Top Bottom