1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad end to my day

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Katy, May 14, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I went out to shut my chickens in for the night and one of my BLRW roos was laying dead in the run. He was fine this morning. I was gone most all of the day. He wasn't injured....or at least nothing I could see. Amazingly enough he wasn't the one I had decided to keep. He was the one that was going to the next poultry auction. Wish I knew what happened.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry to hear that, but at least it wasn't the one you were going to keep.

There are so many things that could have happened, I've found out that heart attacks are alot more common than I'd have thought.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Yep, it happens. He was the over-sexed one of the 3 that age which is why he was going to the auction and not the other. Maybe he dropped dead chasing a hen! [​IMG] Now I guess I'll keep both of the ones that I've got until my young ones get some growth on them, and I can tell how they're gonna turn out. Just would be nice to know what killed him.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aw, geez, I'm sorry, Katy! I hate those mysteries. And with a rooster, can't be an egg issue, either. Dang. At least it wasn't the one you are keeping.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Thanks...how's your Zane today? I was gone most all of the day....which was good since I had a hatch going on!!....so I'm behind reading posts for today.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I was in bed most of the day for a bad headache. DH took care of all the feathered kids. It was overcast, damp and cool, so Zane didn't get out of the dog kennel except for a few minutes at the end of the day when I took him out and let him eat some grass. He's hanging on, but he needs some sunshine to keep his spirits up, IMO. He is still eating and drinking, but not very perky today, understandably so.

7. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to hear about your roo. I'm thinking that he overheard the plans you had for him...

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

9. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Well at least it was one of those marked for the next auction. More often than not, the ones to die are those we want to keep. Murphey's Law, ya know?

I know if I have a bird go missing or die, it is usually one of my favorites. [​IMG]

Sorry for the bad end to the day, at least you know it couldn've been worse and wasn't!

-Kim

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Very true....at least it wasn't the one I planned on keeping. But these guys were all so tame. Just wish I knew what happened with him. And it wasn't a totally bad day. I've had a hatch going on today and there's a bunch of new fuzzy butts in the hatcher downstairs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by