Bad experience...and a tip.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aceoftrumps, Jan 1, 2011.

1. aceoftrumps

aceoftrumps Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    South Central Louisiana
    On my first hatch ever, I lost a just hatched chick to drowning in the waterer. I already knew about using marbles or decorative stones in the waterer, so used them after that....but this turned out to be a pain in the neck having to clean them every day and putting them back in the waterer. So with this new batch, bought a quail waterer base and so far it's working great. It's small enough that none can drown and large enough that they can drink from easily. I'll wait another week and then go to the regular waterer base.

Kurt

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    so sorry for your loss

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Good suggestion. I always use quail or chick waterers myself...sorry for your loss!

4. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    What does a quail waterer look like? Could someone post a pic? Thanks. [​IMG]

Nevermind, I googled it to see what you were talking about. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]

6. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    Lady: A quail waterer looks just like a regular ball jar waterer, but the base is smaller and the drinking font much more narrow; about the width of an index finger.

I used a quail waterer with my last batch of chicks and it worked perfectly!

7. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    Tractor Supply only had quail waterers when I bought my two.. so now I will use the quail for the first week or so.. then move up to the regular chick waterers..

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by