Bad Experience with Bresse Farms in Pontotoc, MS

Yikes! This is an eye opening thread. I have some bresse eggs hatching now from ‘Bresse Farms’ in Florida. I can’t speak yet to the quality of the birds but they came well packed exactly as I ordered and the seller is kind and appears to really care about the breed and their customers experience. Their website indicates they practice bio security measures. & they were very reasonably priced as well.
Let us know how they do! I just set mine from the same Florida farm yesterday.

Let us know how they do! I just set mine from the same Florida farm
Let us know how they do! I just set mine from the same Florida farm yesterday.
Oh cool! Hope you get a good hatch. I’ve been meaning to do a thread for mine. They’re doing well so far. I had 7 of 13 hatch witch is the best I’ve done on shipped eggs. They seem to really get beat up coming through Atlanta.

I had a terrible experience with Bresse Farms (bressefarms.com) in Pototoc, MS. I ordered 20 Swedish Flower Hen chicks @ $9.99 each on 2/9/21 totaling $259.80 (including $60 for shipping.) I contacted them about a shipping date and Justin (owner) said they were shooting for shipment on 3/8/21. All good! The chicks actually ended up shipping two months later on 4/6/21. So shipping got delayed by a month. That's okay, I know things happen. They were received on 4/8/21. There were 21 chicks - 1 deceased on arrival, 20 others active and healthy. Shipping box was great. Two heat packs and four cups filled with growgel. I thought everything was great until I started inspecting these chicks more carefully. I soon found out my order was completely wrong. Here's what I received:

11 Rhode Island Reds
6 Swedish Flower Hens (2 with vaulted skulls)
2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
1 Blue Bresse
1 Mystery Chick (Deceased, did not examine)

Once I realized I had a bunch of Rhode Island Reds in the order, I contacted Justin (owner). I sent him high quality photos of the chicks and asked politely if there was a mistake because these look like Rhode Island Reds. Keep in mind this farm also raises Bresse (black, blue, white), Rhode Island Reds, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. He reassured me there was no mistake and that I had 20 Swedish Flower Hens. However, contradicting himself he did say there should be 4-5 RIRs there for additional warmth. Well, I only received one extra chick. He said to let them develop and if they made a mistake they would make it right. I left it at that for the time being, but started speaking with Swedish Flower Hen breeders. All of them said these were definitely not Swedish Flower Hens. I then examined the chicks further and found two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes in the group. Their flat combs made it obvious. Lastly, I realized a blue chick was growing larger than the others and had blue legs and beak. Swedish Flowers legs/beaks should be yellow or white. It is definitely a blue Bresse. There were also two chicks with vaulted skulls. I believe these are Swedish Flower Hens. However, this is a trait culled for, but normally you would not get these in the first place as it comes from breeding crested to crested. Only non-crested should be bred to crested so you do not have this problem. The remaining four chicks appear to be Swedish Flower Hens.

After learning all this, I contacted Justin for the second time and called him out on it. He finally admitted that they were Rhode Island Reds. He claimed my order got messed up from a computer system error and that I instead received 9 RIRs and 11 SFHs. Well that was not correct either. He forgot to explain why there are 11 RIRs, 2 BLRWs, and 1 BB chick as well. When I sent him photos clearly showing BLRWs, he admitted that they definitely were BLRWs. He did not comment on the blue Bresse chick. Not only did he reassure me the first time I asked (and sent photos) that there was no mistake, but the packing label on my box also says 21 Swedish Flower Hens. I do not believe this was an accident. I believe he did not have 20 Swedish Flower Hens to fulfill my order, so instead sent what he had on hand. My order had been delayed one month and he also told me in March that they had poor hatch rates at that time due to weather. I have since be made aware that I'm not the only one who has had this same issue from other customers of Bresse Farms.

Bresse Farms has refunded me $120 of the $259.80 I paid them, as of now. Only 6 are the breed I ordered and 2 of those have vaulted skulls (culls). So I should get back at least $140 for the 14 I did not receive. Justin said he would send the remaining $20, but as of now has not. To say I'm disappointed in my experience with Bresse Farms is an understatement. I'm now left to care for and find homes for almost my entire order, along with being out $140!
I had a terrible experience with Bresse Farms (bressefarms.com) in Pototoc, MS. I ordered 20 Swedish Flower Hen chicks @ $9.99 each on 2/9/21 totaling $259.80 (including $60 for shipping.) I contacted them about a shipping date and Justin (owner) said they were shooting for shipment on 3/8/21. All good! The chicks actually ended up shipping two months later on 4/6/21. So shipping got delayed by a month. That's okay, I know things happen. They were received on 4/8/21. There were 21 chicks - 1 deceased on arrival, 20 others active and healthy. Shipping box was great. Two heat packs and four cups filled with growgel. I thought everything was great until I started inspecting these chicks more carefully. I soon found out my order was completely wrong. Here's what I received:
11 Rhode Island Reds
6 Swedish Flower Hens (2 with vaulted skulls)
2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
1 Blue Bresse
1 Mystery Chick (Deceased, did not examine)

Once I realized I had a bunch of Rhode Island Reds in the order, I contacted Justin (owner). I sent him high quality photos of the chicks and asked politely if there was a mistake because these look like Rhode Island Reds. Keep in mind this farm also raises Bresse (black, blue, white), Rhode Island Reds, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. He reassured me there was no mistake and that I had 20 Swedish Flower Hens. However, contradicting himself he did say there should be 4-5 RIRs there for additional warmth. Well, I only received one extra chick. He said to let them develop and if they made a mistake they would make it right. I left it at that for the time being, but started speaking with Swedish Flower Hen breeders. All of them said these were definitely not Swedish Flower Hens. I then examined the chicks further and found two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes in the group. Their flat combs made it obvious. Lastly, I realized a blue chick was growing larger than the others and had blue legs and beak. Swedish Flowers legs/beaks should be yellow or white. It is definitely a blue Bresse. There were also two chicks with vaulted skulls. I believe these are Swedish Flower Hens. However, this is a trait culled for, but normally you would not get these in the first place as it comes from breeding crested to crested. Only non-crested should be bred to crested so you do not have this problem. The remaining four chicks appear to be Swedish Flower Hens.

After learning all this, I contacted Justin for the second time and called him out on it. He finally admitted that they were Rhode Island Reds. He claimed my order got messed up from a computer system error and that I instead received 9 RIRs and 11 SFHs. Well that was not correct either. He forgot to explain why there are 11 RIRs, 2 BLRWs, and 1 BB chick as well. When I sent him photos clearly showing BLRWs, he admitted that they definitely were BLRWs. He did not comment on the blue Bresse chick. Not only did he reassure me the first time I asked (and sent photos) that there was no mistake, but the packing label on my box also says 21 Swedish Flower Hens. I do not believe this was an accident. I believe he did not have 20 Swedish Flower Hens to fulfill my order, so instead sent what he had on hand. My order had been delayed one month and he also told me in March that they had poor hatch rates at that time due to weather. I have since be made aware that I'm not the only one who has had this same issue from other customers of Bresse Farms.

Bresse Farms has refunded me $120 of the $259.80 I paid them, as of now. Only 6 are the breed I ordered and 2 of those have vaulted skulls (culls). So I should get back at least $140 for the 14 I did not receive. Justin said he would send the remaining $20, but as of now has not. To say I'm disappointed in my experience with Bresse Farms is an understatement. I'm now left to care for and find homes for almost my entire order, along with being out $140!
On February 3, 2021, I purchased one dozen Swedish Flower Hens eggs and one container of oregano oil from Bresse Farms in Pontotoc, Mississippi for $96.98. I was emailed that a shipping number would be provided by PayPal for me to track my package. I waited. Later that day I had the tracking number and watched. My package went from Oxford, Mississippi at the original starting point to Nashville, Tennessee. Overnight, an employee scanned the package and place them in the wrong shipping container which went back to Oxford, Mississippi. I contacted Justin to inform him of this and he reassured me that the laid date of the eggs was February 3. He also emailed me “To let him know the outcome and hatch rate after day 21 and we will go from there“. On February 8, I contacted USPS and explain the situation and she told me it was employee error. She reassured me that my package was leaving Oxford, Mississippi on February 8 and was heading to Nashville, Tennessee. I informed Justin of this, and he said in an email “we won’t leave you hanging on this“. On February the 13th, 10 days after the laid date, they arrived at my home in LaGrange, Georgia. I allowed the eggs 24 hours to settle before incubation. Two days later I emailed a photo of a leaky egg that I removed from the incubator and still was unable to find the oregano oil within the foam egg holder and the cardboard box. Justin‘s response was “we won’t leave you hanging on them I promise“. On the 23rd day of incubation I emailed Justin a photo of all his eggs that did not hatch. He immediately called me and told me that I would be given a three chick credit towards my next purchase and that I would have to put in the message box of the order three free Chicks and oregano oil. I explain to him that I did not want chicks due to the lengthy quarantine and that I wanted eggs as originally ordered. He explained to me that if I were to purchase chicks today, which was March 7th, that they would be ready for shipment on the 29th. Reluctantly I went on his website and found that the original price for one dozen eggs was reduced and the minimum order of chicks I could purchase was four. I placed my order on March 7th of four chicks and notated in the message box ‘3 free chicks and oregano oil’ for $61.96. I received a phone call from the USPS and quickly picked up my seven Swedish Flower Hens Chicks born on March 29, 2021 and no oregano oil. I immediately open the box and found seven chicks alive. I took them home and place them in the brooder, did some errands and came back a few hours later to check on them. One chick was lying on its side spinning in circles using it’s feet. I picked it up and the entire chick was crusty. I decided it was time to become intimate and take him to the master bathroom to bathe him in warm water and use the hairdryer to warm the area. I ended up removing four or five pieces of eggshell, 2 inches of inner membrane that had kept its wings from opening and the entire time this chick kept drinking the warm water from the faucet. I knew this chick was probably very hungry and thirsty since it wasn’t able to keep its balance using its wings. I emailed this to Justin on March 9 with before and after photos, and still have not received a response. On March 10 the chick died in the middle of the night. I knew this was either Justin‘s fault or an employee‘s fault because he could not for fill my order of seven chicks and gave me one that needed special attention. Anyone on the farm could’ve cleaned up that chick and took care of it for less than 24 hours so that it could eat and drink and place it in another order. But my heart had to suffer. On April 10th I received the oregano oil in a plastic container, hand written in sharpie “oregano oil“ in another plastic bag, which of course leaked. I have calculated that the remaining six chicks, which are five weeks old, raised organically and are extremely healthy have cost me $24.32 per chick. I have contacted NPIP to inform them of their dealings. I have been on many social media sites and suggested not to purchase from them. I understand that the Postal Service messes up quite often. And even if it is out of his control,To maintain customer service and good referrals from customers, he should’ve offered another dozen eggs to me at a very reduced price of maybe just the shipping cost. Even if that would’ve meant that I would’ve had to of wait another month for eggs. I have learned that this farm is the a pitta me of how not to do business. I know there are others and maybe we should start a club!!!

Last edited:

On February 3, 2021, I purchased one dozen Swedish Flower Hens eggs and one container of oregano oil from Bresse Farms in Pontotoc, Mississippi for $96.98. I was emailed that a shipping number would be provided by PayPal for me to track my package. I waited. Later that day I had the tracking number and watched. My package went from Oxford, Mississippi at the original starting point to Nashville, Tennessee. Overnight, an employee scanned the package and place them in the wrong shipping container which went back to Oxford, Mississippi. I contacted Justin to inform him of this and he reassured me that the laid date of the eggs was February 3. He also emailed me “To let him know the outcome and hatch rate after day 21 and we will go from there“. On February 8, I contacted USPS and explain the situation and she told me it was employee error. She reassured me that my package was leaving Oxford, Mississippi on February 8 and was heading to Nashville, Tennessee. I informed Justin of this, and he said in an email “we won’t leave you hanging on this“. On February the 13th, 10 days after the laid date, they arrived at my home in LaGrange, Georgia. I allowed the eggs 24 hours to settle before incubation. Two days later I emailed a photo of a leaky egg that I removed from the incubator and still was unable to find the oregano oil within the foam egg holder and the cardboard box. Justin‘s response was “we won’t leave you hanging on them I promise“. On the 23rd day of incubation I emailed Justin a photo of all his eggs that did not hatch. He immediately called me and told me that I would be given a three chick credit towards my next purchase and that I would have to put in the message box of the order three free Chicks and oregano oil. I explain to him that I did not want chicks due to the lengthy quarantine and that I wanted eggs as originally ordered. He explained to me that if I were to purchase chicks today, which was March 7th, that they would be ready for shipment on the 29th. Reluctantly I went on his website and found that the original price for one dozen eggs was reduced and the minimum order of chicks I could purchase was four. I placed my order on March 7th of four chicks and notated in the message box ‘3 free chicks and oregano oil’ for $61.96. I received a phone call from the USPS and quickly picked up my seven Swedish Flower Hens Chicks born on March 29, 2021 and no oregano oil. I immediately open the box and found seven chicks alive. I took them home and place them in the brooder, did some errands and came back a few hours later to check on them. One chick was lying on its side spinning in circles using it’s feet. I picked it up and the entire chick was crusty. I decided it was time to become intimate and take him to the master bathroom to bathe him in warm water and use the hairdryer to warm the area. I ended up removing four or five pieces of eggshell, 2 inches of inner membrane that had kept its wings from opening and the entire time this chick kept drinking the warm water from the faucet. I knew this chick was probably very hungry and thirsty since it wasn’t able to keep its balance using its wings. I emailed this to Justin on March 9 with before and after photos, and still have not received a response. On March 10 the chick died in the middle of the night. I knew this was either Justin‘s fault or an employee‘s fault because he could not for fill my order of seven chicks and gave me one that needed special attention. Anyone on the farm could’ve cleaned up that chick and took care of it for less than 24 hours so that it could eat and drink and place it in another order. But my heart had to suffer. On April 10th I received the oregano oil in a plastic container, hand written in sharpie “oregano oil“ in another plastic bag, which of course leaked. I have calculated that the remaining six chicks, which are five weeks old, raised organically and are extremely healthy have cost me $24.32 per chick. I have contacted NPIP to inform them of their dealings. I have been on many social media sites and suggested not to purchase from them. I understand that the Postal Service messes up quite often. And even if it is out of his control,To maintain customer service and good referrals from customers, he should’ve offered another dozen eggs to me at a very reduced price of maybe just the shipping cost. Even if that would’ve meant that I would’ve had to of wait another month for eggs. I have learned that this farm is the a pitta me of how not to do business. I know there are others and maybe we should start a club!!
Oh my word. So instead of just replacing the eggs or offering a refund or even partial refund, he offered you 3 free chicks with your next purchase?? What?! LOL

So now my “SFH” Blue Laced Red Wyandottes are happy, healthy and live at a loving organic farm at 5 weeks of age. They have blended well with my five Ayam Cemani that are the same age. I emailed Justin with a current photo of my happy 4 week old Swedish Flower Hens and told him I wanted the seven that I ordered……..no reply for over a week now. Either way, I will never purchase from them nor suggest to anyone To purchase from them. Poor business manners.

Attachments

• 1C4177C2-44E0-4B7B-B9DD-162695F830CA.jpeg
    1C4177C2-44E0-4B7B-B9DD-162695F830CA.jpeg
    652.1 KB · Views: 41

Back
Top Bottom