Bad experience with electronetting. Warning! Disturbing story

KirstenJL

Songster
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
Central Ohio
Hi all. I live out in the country and have all manner of predators around. Free-ranging is out of the question, so when I got chickens last fall, I decided electronetting would be an excellent option. Up until this weekend, it has been superb. I saw a dog touch it last winter and run off, the chickens respect it, and I have not seen a predator. However when I went out Saturday evening to close up the coop, I found a dead adult opossum entangled in the fence. He had gotten in (probably crawled under it), and was trying to get out. He got his head through one of the openings and then got stuck. I feel terrible, but I don't have a good alternative to using this fencing. Just a head's up.

Sorry that you had that bad experience. I'm using e-netting for some years @ sheep, goats and now as run for my dogs. In all this years ( around 20) I had only 2 accidents like yours. One was a little deer and one was a fox. I think that's not too much.

It did the job efficiently,if it had not the opossum would have gotten into your coup,then you would have posted how a opossum had killed all your chickens.Just look at it as one less predator in your area.

Or it could have got tangled in the fence and strangles or hit by a car - dead predators occur! The good thing is you won, your birds are safe and your security system works....Good job!

Quote:
I understand. You got the netting to prevent having to kill anything, and an accident happened. Not your fault, but tragic to someone who values life in all forms.

Back
Top Bottom