Bad experience with hatch....Now what????

justmyluck

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
I had 16 eggs in my LG still air, first time I had ever tried to hatch. They were Cochin and Barred Rock eggs from my hens. I candled as the instruction book said that came with the bator, really didn't know what I was looking at. Anyway, I kept the temp at about 101 and the humidity stayed about 35%, thought I was okay. No one hatched. When on day 25 we decided to remove the eggs, my DH decided to do an eggtopsy. 50% of the eggs had deeloped chicks who never piped, the others had nothing, as I said I am not a real good candler and all of the eggs were brown so harder to see. One egg had "leaked" and I did not see it when I turned the eggs, how I don't know besides it was clear, so it must have happened just before I decided that we were done and had no babies to show for it. I bought 9 Auracana chicks at an auction, which are doing well so far, but I would like to hatch my own babies and I am now afraid, plus I am not sure of the best way to clean the bator to get it started again. Any suggestions on cleaning the mess would be appreciated. I am so trying to learn all that I can.

I clean with bleach water and let it air dry when finshed. I also have my humidity higher than yours I run 40-46 for the first 18 days and 70-72 for the last 18 days. I have a larger incubator than yours but I get great hatches. Try and Try again !!!!

I clean my bators with a water/bleach solution. Go light handed on the bleach.
smile.png

I always had trouble candling and not sure of what I should be seeing but after this last batch of 47 eggs....I wait till about day 8-10 to be sure. I can actually see a dark blob which is very dark and some "streaks" (veins). If you go to the Search in the blue bar above you will find lots of pics of "candling eggs". It took me forever to be confident enough to know what I was looking at. Plus, my eggs are all brown and some seem thicker shelled then others but if you wait till day 10 you can tell. Good luck and do not give up...keep trying!!!
I did just up my humidity to between 40-48% till day 18 then up it again for the hatch and under no circumstances open that bator! till they hatch! Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thanks so much, I was just going to give up. Then I decided that this is what I wanted to do, so I will try again. I felt so bad for those babies though. I will add bleach and get the bator cleaned up. I appreciate the encouragement. This is such a great place to come and get help.

do you have an automatic turner? or turning by hand? with the humidity being so low, everytime you open the bator to turn the eggs it lowers. the best investment I ever made was an automatic turner!!
also I too keep the humidity higher, and bump it up when you stop turning towards the end of your hatch.
you'll have to just try again!
good luck. there is lots of help here..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48726

lots of good info here.

I do not have a turner, just turning by hand. I need to invest in one, but Tractor Supply was out when I bought the LG. Seems as if they have either the bator, or the turner, but never both at the same time. By the time they had the turners, the eggs were well into the second week and I was not sure it would be a good idea or do any good to put a turner in at that point. Live and learn I guess. Thanks again guys!
big_smile.png

I clean my bator with straight bleach and then I rinse it THOROUGHLY. After that I let it run for two days to burn off any remaining bleach.

Sometimes things just go wrong during the incubation, other times you can blame the birds. I have one particular cross of OEGB that consistantly fail to hatch. Most die about half way through, some die before they pip, and only one has hatched and survied and he's tiiiiny. And I know it's not the incubator cause I have an army of white OE running around that were incubated with the others. Keep trying. You'll get it right eventually. Put your breeders on a vitamin supplement and increase protein, that way their health will be tip top and you can rule out "sick breeders" and consider "incubator" or "bad genes."

I don't think it is my ladies as they are all healthy, young birds (right at a year, maybe a little less). The feed is a layer mix that my grainery sells. Not sure of the protein content, but I'll check, need to go get feed today. I really think my problem was my inexperience and I guess that's the way you learn. It was just the hard way:hit. Anyway, still cleaning the bator and will try again. We will keep everyone posted.

To have good fertile breeders you all can use this recipe

1/2 gallon of wheat
1/8 cup of wheat germ (Pure not blended kind)
mix good to coat the grains
let stand over bight
then mix and feed eacj bird 3 tbsp in feeders
so both the male and females get 3 tbsp each
This provides Vit E for fertility

also you can use
1/2 gallon of wheat
1/8 cup of cod liver oil(plain no flavor bought at drug store)
now mix good and sit over night
mix good and feed each bird 3 tbsp of mix in feeder

DO NOT mix these two oils as one out does the other.
always feed one mix on one day a week and the other another day of the week

Should be given 6-8 weeks before starting to breed chickens and thru the breeding and hatching season/8 cup of cod liver oil ( to provide vit a & D this for good hatchability)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom