Bad eye ailment. Help diagnosing/Treatment?

lw063083

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
Hi everyone, one of my silkies (out of seven various hens), has developed a terrible issue with her left eye-- looks like a yellow growth from the corner of her eye. I had treated the hen's drinking water with tetracycline. After about a week (maybe?), I did not see this yellow growth and stopped the tetracycline. 3-4 days later it has come back and gotten much worse.

This did start once we had severe rain for a few days. I have enclosed photos. All of the other hens seem fine (knock on wood!) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

does she have ANY other symptoms? is her breathing ok? if you feel its not respatory and just the eye itsself you can try colidal silver not sure i spelled that right but the silver can be put directly into the eye. its excellent for eye infections! however if she has ANY breathing problem or signs of respitatory illness i would at this point inject with tylan 50.but if its only the eye involved please try the silver. it should really help heal it. i know you can get it online. i got some for my emergency kit
you might also find it at health food stores. its great stuff!

I haven't seen any issues breathing (labored, coughing or otherwise), but I did notice the eye has gotten so much worse, as you can see in this photo. What is happening? I think I may be able to find colloidal silver at a health food store, but if not, any other alternatives? Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom