bad eye - please help

herman2121

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 28, 2008
PLease look at the picture and let me know if you have any idea what it is. This is Chocolate who is a Americana chick and it started as a bump on her eye and now it is getting bigger and there is white discharge in her eye. Any suggestions.

16366_p1040272.jpg

Last edited:
Try to push the bump may be a sist some times come out real easy is something like tumor

I now think it is avian pox based on some other info. I got. Are you familiar with this? Her eye looks worse today poor thing. I am wondering if she also has an eye infection on top of that. I wonder if I could put tetracyclin drops in the eye if she has pox in it too?

Hi, This looks so bad, I didn't want to even try to give advice.
hu.gif

There is a Terramycin eye ointment that is sold at farm supplies.
An antibiotic ointment would not affect healing of viral infection but would address a possible bacterial and the ointment/salve would also help protect from environmental issues, e.g., dust wind or drying out. Although, pox or blisters are in need of drying out to heal, but with it being right on the eye like that, I'd opt for the ointment.
Any human meds at home for the eye or ear? Guess what....same stuff. Just make sure your meds do not have "caines" in them...chickens, I hear, are allergic to them.
I used a ciprodex with prednisone ear drop med for my roos eye and it helped save his eye.
Use an eyewash containing boric acid solution, from the drugs store OTC, to rinse and clean eye in between applications or at least until it starts to look like there is some improvement. These are just my thoughts on this matter.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom