Bad Hatch- what went wrong?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by DancingWthDucks, Feb 23, 2016.

1. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Hi all, I was just wondering what went wrong with my first hatch. On the 30th January I set 10 small (I think pullet eggs) partridge wyanndotte eggs in my RCOM 10 pro. After candling 6 were fertile. Through out the incubation the incubator held a steady 37.5C and 45-53% humidity. They were put into lockdown on day 18 with the humidity at 70%. The first egg pipped on day 21 and hatched over 24 hours later. This chick is very weak and it doesn't look like it is going to survive.

Next one pipped and hatched in 1-2 hours (day 22) and is very strong ( now in brooder). Then two pipped but 24 hours later no progress and the membranes had dried out. One had started unzipping about 10 hours before but it was obvious that they wouldn't be able to get out on their own. One seemed to have died so using the assistanting hatchs article on here we assisted the other one out (day 23) and it seems to be very strong but small and I think it has crooked toes. The two others haven't done anything and I suspect they are late quiters.:hit

What are all your chicken expert opinions on this? Was it something to do with the eggs or is it my method? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    It is never a good idea to use pullet eggs there is either not enough room or there isn't enough nutrients, which can cause deformities.

3. chickens r life

chickens r life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    You should post this in the incubating & hatching eggs section. You will get a lot more replies although i'm pretty sure chicklover 1998 is right.

4. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Sorry- still I jo a couple of days ago and I'm still trying to work out how to do everything right.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by