BAD HATCH

KEarthman

Songster
Oct 27, 2020
Good Morning. Hope everyone is having a Blessed Sunday!
We were gone yesterday. Long story short, we came home to a dead chick in the incubator that had hatched the day before. We think it got trampled by it's siblings. There was only 1 other chick alive. She hatched early this morning. Had shell stuck to her which we helped get off of her. But we left the eggshell stuck to her bottom alone so as not to interfere with the cord or cause a problem. How long should we wait before helping her remove the shell from her bottom? Thanks!
P.S. Evidently I'm technically challenged. I can't figure out how to send a photo from my phone to here. Sorry

Good Morning. Hope everyone is having a Blessed Sunday!
We were gone yesterday. Long story short, we came home to a dead chick in the incubator that had hatched the day before. We think it got trampled by it's siblings. There was only 1 other chick alive. She hatched early this morning. Had shell stuck to her which we helped get off of her. But we left the eggshell stuck to her bottom alone so as not to interfere with the cord or cause a problem. How long should we wait before helping her remove the shell from her bottom? Thanks!
P.S. Evidently I'm technically challenged. I can't figure out how to send a photo from my phone to here. Sorry
How to attach photo.
Screenshot_20220327-120558_Chrome.jpg
The button with paper clip.

Thanks for the reply/tip. But this is only allowing me to attach downloaded pics in computer, I was trying to see if I could send straight from my cell. :)

Make sure everything like temp, humidity, egg position, and everything is correct! Maybe your chick was too weak, unhealthy, or something was off. Also, DON'T remove the shell as that can tear any blood vessels still attached and cause them to bleed out! Let it dry up on its own and come off when it's ready. That should mostly be quick if the humidity and temp are correct! You can leave chicks in the incubator between 1-2 days (24-48 hours) but no more than that! It encourage's the rest to pip and hatch and for chick the to stay warm. Don't interfere with hatching unless they didn't hatch in less than 24 hours. That includes not opening the incubator or touching anything. If they didn't get far, make sure you know that you'e able to help them safely and correctly. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom