Bad houseguest :( Lost an entire hatch.

Quote:
I need to try quail - they sound like fun.
smile.png

I am trying to hatch a few Marans and BBS orps, just set some olive eggers, and have a mix from Eggbid coming in January. Hopefully next year I'll have a great rooster and can set eggs from my own crew instead of shipping eggs.
fl.gif

Seems like in Feb. the SAD starts to let up. How 'bout you?

Is the silkie going to be a house silkie?
smile.png
An indoor broody serama would be fun, too.

Feb-March, yup. As soon as the plants start poking their heads out of the ground, I start perking up. The other project for this winter is starting a hydroponic garden to see if that helps - if I have flowers and vegetables growing all around me, maybe I can trick my brain.

The birds are all house birds. We're going to structure the garden this year around a run shaped like this: |_|_|_|_| - the lines are all going to be the spaces between the row all linked with the main corridor, with the open ends so we can reach the plants. That way, the little munchkins can weed between my rows for me but not get at my veggies. Haven't decided whether they're staying outdoors at night or coming into the house. The Silkies, I can probably train to come right inside the house when I open the run, but the quail are spazoids and I'd have to chase them down.

If you try quail, go with coturnix first. They're sweet like chickens and fun to watch, and mostly calm. The buttons are pretty but they're like having stupid, stupid finches.

-Spooky

Quote:
We'll find out in about a week
tongue.png
I'm going to pick up a silkie either tomorrow or Wednesday. As soon as she goes broody, I'm shoving Coturnix eggs under her. And possibly some buttons, just to see if she knows what to do with such tiny eggs. I may see what the hen does with my two little peepers. They think my hand is Mom and they cry when I'm not there. I have socks in there, but they think socks = warm place to sleep.
-Spooky

Quote:
WOW.. that's just.. I have no words. I don't live with my SO because he's allergic to cats and my two are non-negotiable features. He's getting allergy shots, but until he's able to be healthy around them, or they live out their hopefully long and happy lives, we have two households.

She had no idea. I know that. I also know that she thought she was helping me save money. That's helping mitigate the anger but not by much
sad.png
Hoping I feel better tonight.
-Spooky

ha! i thought i was the only one with cat/guest issues!

at Christmas a few years ago, my FIL locked my cat in my bedroom without as much as telling me or anyone else. i was of course, hostessing and busy in the kitchen etc.

i kept hearing this weird 'yowling' sound, but there were 30 some people in my little ranch home, so i thought it was kids playing.

no, not kids playing...cat dying to use the litter box. she pooped and peed on my bed, because she couldn't get out.

when i came out and told my husband, my FIL says, "Oh, I shut the cat in the bedroom because ______ is allergic to cats."

um, if this is an issue, TELL me first. BTW, the 'allergic' person pet sits and as long as she doesn't touch the cat, there is no reaction.

now, my in-laws even got mad when i got a cat when we got married and said that since their other kids were allergic, how could they come over?

how do you go anywhere then? i don't know. GUESTS! aaaghhhh!

The other project for this winter is starting a hydroponic garden to see if that helps - if I have flowers and vegetables growing all around me, maybe I can trick my brain.

I start lots of seedling in Feb. That carries me to March, too.
smile.png

no, not kids playing...cat dying to use the litter box. she pooped and peed on my bed, because she couldn't get out.

MISS_JAYNE! Oh. my! I thought it was bad enough that people used do me a favor and let my poor whippet out into the cold and would forget to let him in (that would get me furious, poor little shivering creature that he was). Someone owes you a mattress!!!!!​

Quote:
ep.gif

My SO is badly allergic and he pets the cats, but has to wash his hands before he touches his face or eyes, or they'll swell shut.

I guess I'm lucky - my cats don't trust any humans but myself or my SO and will run away and hide if anyone tried to catch them.. and if they were successfully caught, someone'd be going to the hospital with severe lacerations - and not necessarily from the cats! Maybe I'm a total misanthrope, but my cats live in the house with me. It's their home. Guests are GUESTS and can either respect my animals or gtfo!

-Spooky

Quote:
I start lots of seedling in Feb. That carries me to March, too.
smile.png

MISS_JAYNE! Oh. my! I thought it was bad enough that people used do me a favor and let my poor whippet out into the cold and would forget to let him in (that would get me furious, poor little shivering creature that he was). Someone owes you a mattress!!!!!​

Put a sign on the door: "Make sure [dog's name] has his coat, hat, and boots on before letting him outside." Then when they come to ask you where those items are, you'll know
smile.png

-Spooky

.. Aaaaaannnnndddddd it just got better.
Her: "Mom and I saw you didn't have a Christmas tree yet, so we went and bought you one!"

Me: "You didn't buy a cut tree, did you?"

Her: "Yup! We got you the nicest one!"

Me: "Remember my allergies?"

Her: "Pine cleaner, dust mites, bees, mushrooms.."

Me: "PINE.."

Her: "Oh, but this isn't fake, this is real.."

Me: "Which is what I'm allergic to..."

Her: ".. Oh. Well, you can take an allergy pill, right?"

Me: "Did you want me awake at all this week?"

Her: "Of course!"

Me: "Then the tree needs to go outside on the deck."

Her: "But then it'll freeze!"

Me: *feeling snarky* "Well, what's the big deal? It's only a tree."
roll.png

ARGH!
-Spooky

Quote:
ep.gif

My SO is badly allergic and he pets the cats, but has to wash his hands before he touches his face or eyes, or they'll swell shut.

I guess I'm lucky - my cats don't trust any humans but myself or my SO and will run away and hide if anyone tried to catch them.. and if they were successfully caught, someone'd be going to the hospital with severe lacerations - and not necessarily from the cats! Maybe I'm a total misanthrope, but my cats live in the house with me. It's their home. Guests are GUESTS and can either respect my animals or gtfo!

-Spooky

bingo.

now, if it were life threatening, i guess they just wouldn't go anywhere, so it can't be too bad.

um, a live tree with pine allergies...the word 'duh' comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom